MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: [RELEASE] Steven's Custom Footer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
After downloading and installing "the new" MyBB for the first time just a few days ago, I immediately fell in love with the simplicity of the hook system. I set off to create a very simple mod to get comfortable with the admin panel settings and template management. Out came this mod which I use on my own board (not yet open, but it will in the near future!). Although it was more of a personal achievement for me, I decided that it would actually be useful to many so here I am submitting it. Smile

Overview
Steven's Custom Footer adds a global (on every page) custom footer to your MyBB installation. This is great for adding affiliate links, donation links, images, quotes, or moving your copyright off the actual layout to make room for other page elements. Text color defaults to the forum's style's overall color. You can change this by encasing your footer with:
<span style="color: #ffffff;">{footer}</span>
Where {footer} is your footer.

Installation instructions are in the README.

Features
  • Global custom footer on every page without the hassle of editing template files
  • A Toggle option to eliminate the need to deactivate the plugin (and lose your saved footer)
  • Full HTML code support
  • Settings are changed from the admin panel - no editing of PHP files
  • Completely free

Screenshots
[Image: screen1.png]

[Image: screen2.png]

I hope everyone enjoys and finds a use for this plugin! I do plan on developing this more in the future, so feel free to post suggestions.

Also, I would really appreciate a donation if you find this plugin useful. This is not required, but I have to pay for hosting to develop plugins. Smile Thanks!
[Image: btn_donate_SM.gif]

[attachment=14049]
Interesting idea, thank you Smile
(2009-06-01, 03:18 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]

{footer} is usually written as {$footer} ... am I right ?
I think this is pretty sloppy, no offense. For starters, you should've used a CSS class for the footer instead of editing the span style. And this doesn't seem any easier than editing the footer template itself.

It just seems like a solution in search of a problem.
(2009-06-02, 02:56 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]I think this is pretty sloppy, no offense. For starters, you should've used a CSS class for the footer instead of editing the span style. And this doesn't seem any easier than editing the footer template itself.

It just seems like a solution in search of a problem.

None taken; this is my first plugin.

Also, why would I include a CSS class? Generally the overall text color should contrast well enough against the background - the whole <span> stuff was if someone wanted to change the color of the text without changing the entire text color. There is no reason to include a new CSS class to hold one attribute.

Again, I created this as my first plugin; it was never meant to solve any problem other than to eliminate the hassle of directly editing the template files (and to get me used to editing templates, etc).

(2009-06-02, 02:52 AM)ghazal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-01, 03:18 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]

{footer} is usually written as {$footer} ... am I right ?

It was meant as a placeholder, not a template variable.