MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Rules page
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since I moved from IPB to MyBB, I really miss a Board Rules page, that can be managed from the ACP. The board rules page is better than creating a post in the forum, that users may eventually not find or identify as relevant. There should also be an option in the ACP to force users to read and accept the rules (just like the COPPA page) before registering.
You could change the registration agreement in the language files to add rules or a link to the rules
The only worse point in MyBB related to other BBS is that you have to change things in the source code. It would be easyer if this option were available. Not all users are programmers like us, most of them can't edit a PHP file without messing the code, since they don't understand the syntax and the problems with ", ' and ;.
True, they've at least done something though:

AdminCP > Configuration > Languages > {language} > Edit {.lang.php}

Its better than editing the files straight up =/
Having everything in language strings, I find, isn't exactly the most convenient location for items which should be settings in the first place. I realize they're used for translations, but there's a simpler alternative than having separate language strings for each paragraph.
You could always edit/add a help document, and just link to it as "Board Rules" in the header...
(2009-06-02, 07:51 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]You could always edit/add a help document, and just link to it as "Board Rules" in the header...

Solution? Yes.
Practical? No. Most forums have rules, and there should be an easy-to-configure system for reaching everyone, no matter where they are in forums.
you could simply make a page! I mean there is a page mod out there made by Nickman.

Also you can make a link in the menu at the top without know php(and if you don't know basic html to do that then you shouldn't be running a forum). Which means you could link to anything you want and it would be easy for people to find.
(2009-06-02, 07:36 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]Solution? Yes.
Practical? No. Most forums have rules, and there should be an easy-to-configure system for reaching everyone, no matter where they are in forums.

Help documents would be pretty useless if they didn't reach everyone, no matter where they were in the forum - no?
Yes, but rules deserve a dedicated spot IMO. Not tied into something else.