MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Akismet post limit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was talking to Josh about Akismet, and I had the idea to have a setting to make it only affect users with a certain number of posts. For example, it's highly unlikely that someone with 1000 posts is going to suddenly start spamming, but as false positives do happen, it could end up banning a well established member for 'spam'. 99% of spammers sign up just to spam, as opposed to signing up and making normal posts before spamming, so their first few posts will be spam; if there's a setting for a post limit, you could set it up so that people with, say, less than 10 posts will be subject to Akismet, and people with more will be exempt. That will probably catch a lot of the people who sign up to spam but not end up banning a regular member with a false positive. My forum has never been that active but I've had people being banned for making a few posts in quick concession, either in separate threads or having posts in the same thread auto-merged, if I could let them be exempt based on the fact the had a certain amount of posts, that'd be good.

Comments??
As I told Matt, I think this would be a really good feature for Akismet. It will stop a lot of good members being banned.
Certainly a useful feature. For the time being, promote users to a new group after x posts, and set Askimet to ignore that group.
Ya, this would be great, i hope this will be considered.
I agree.