MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: multiple myBB on same server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I would like to have 2 different bulletin boards on our server, one for internal use (which is our present myBB 1.2.9) and another for non-company users.
Can one have 2 seperate myBB running at the same time?
Can myBB 1.4.x coexist with 1.2.9 ?
Is there a better way to do this?

I searched for "multiple forum" , "multiple myBB", "multiple install" but came up empty in searching this forum.

ADVthanksANCE
If you are talking about having multiply instances of MYBB on a same server then yes you can, but if you want them to share the same database tables then that can get complicated. Hosting companies offer shared server meaning that there is more then one site on a server. Heck you can have one site with many message boards and different versions. You could have example.com/boards have MYBB 1.2.9 and example.com/forums have 1.4. The only complicated part is if they are suppose to share some table which I don't think MYBB can do right out of the box.
You can have 2 forums running off the same user DB. Tomm M was working on a plugin for me, which was for a shared user table. PM Tomm M and ask him if he still has the plugin.
If you want them to be totally stand-alone forums, not linked with eachother, then you can probably just create another directory and install to the same database, as long as you specify a different table prefix when you install. But if you would want them to integrate then yeah, it's a bit more tricky.
ok, the update went much better than i anticipated and the internal use bb is now running 1.4.6 with one minor issue (which i have yet to research) of the admin folder getting created and referenced instead of the custom named admin folder I had in 1.2.x

Which brings up the installation of the second, public, bb. Am I supposed to use all the same "MySQL Improved Database Settings" as for the internal and just change the prefix in "MySQL Improved Table Settings" ?

hmm, I tried using the MySQL information but am getting
Quote:Error

There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:

* Could not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?
I checked the config.php for the internal working version, and it was setup to use FQDN instead of localhost. Changing to the FQDN worked and I got the database populated.
So is there something amiss that 'localhost' did not work?
Make sure all the details are right, I may be wrong but I have a feeling that message can mean the database username or password is wrong, but don't quote me on that.