MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Problem editing language files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to tweak some of the text on my forum, so I am making minor edits the language files, such as global.lang.php and forumdisplay.lang.php

But whenever I make the slightest changes to the text in the files, my board starts giving errors about header data.

And please note that I am not touching anything in the files that looks like:
$l['eventdata_end_in_past'] =
I am only editing the english parts
Maybe you could tell us what these errors are...?? I'm quite sure what they are, but it's still useful to actually tell us the error you're getting... you're probably editing files in notepad, which is a bad editor, upload a new version of the affected files and edit them with wordpad, notepad2 or notepad++. Or, you can CHMOD them to 666 and edit the variables direct from the ACP.
Yeah...I was using notepad.
I didn't even know that you could edit the language files from the ACP!!! I tried using that method and it worked. Thanks!

(stupid notepad)
Yeah notepad is pretty silly, apparently it adds hidden characters before the <?php, they don't show in the editor, but they break the files because there's stuff before the <?php... bit odd, but if you need to edit them in a text editor, anything other than notepad should be fine Toungue
It's probably because you've saved it in the wrong format. Notepad can save it as ANSI, Unicode, (something else) and UTF-8.

If saving it in UTF-8 doesn't work, then just use Wordpad instead. Smile
Or you can use notepad++, it's a great editor.
Indeed, notepad++ is very good.