MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Thinking about taking the leap from phpBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This may be in the wrong area....

I've run various phpBB boards over the past several years, and as late, I've been pretty disappointed with the way things have been going with phpBB, and it's future doesn't look so bright.

I suppose one of the biggest issues is that a vanilla install of phpBB is just that, vanilla.... from the get go, it's practically featureless.... but for years it has been the best, heck, the only solution for a powerful and respectable forum other than Vbulletin (which I here is what MyBB was largely inspired by, which is great Wink ) but then, who has money for that?

but see, not only was there a lack of features, there was no way to add features (along came easymod but it's hit or miss), so PHP and MySGL coders ended up adding and modifying code to add features to phpBB, this was great, at first, but as time went on..... everything became unruly, mods that shouldn't take long would take hours...

it's not that I'm not fluent in PHP, I've worked with it quite a bit (never made anything from scratch though) but unless you made the code your adding, your not quite sure how it all fits together, especially because it relies on code in other files you have added and code already there, and until they tell you where to put the code... you don't know how it will interface... and of course, instead of telling you what all it has to integrate with technically, they make your job so much harder by assuming your an average joe, incapable of understanding anything more than insert after or before a piece of code already there....

but after so many modifications, code is either rewritten, moved or deleted altogether and then, the install guide is useless.... which is why I think the idea of using hooks whenever possible is an awesome idea...

all this editing is why I think phpBB has come to a standstill, because everybody put in the work, and then phpBB 3 came out, which isn't all that different, but requires things to be redone, and noone wants to start over...

I love coding, and hacking, but phpBB went about it the wrong way...

and plugins? plugins are always a good idea, and if one of the reasons I love Opensource software, (the main reason being I can do whatever I want with it) another being modularity, which I see you have also incorporated, like with Linux, where almost everything is modular, this also gives one the ability to work on one piece of code or in this case, a plugin, without taking the whole system down,which is a plus, considering, sometimes, you would have to take your phpbb forum down until you got the new modifications playing nice with everything else...

this can also, like in Linux, allow for massive growth, Wink

the plugin system and modularity alone has grabbed my attention,

but I'm not looking for an easy way own, just a better way, and I think metaBB could be the Linux of BB's

but I'm worried, you talk about ease of use and that's great, but what about us advanced users who are comfortable working with PHP and MySQL, is myBB just as powerful as other BB's, or will advanced users be out of luck in favor of simplicity?

and first, two things I just noticed

1) Thread description, not there, but I think I saw a plug in for it....

2) smilies need an overhaul lol (yeah I know, easy to replace)

I'm using MetaBB right now, heres are some of the features it has

1) Arcade Mod, really cool, but I saw a plugin for that...
2)Portal, didn't see a portal plugin but did see mention of portal ad-ons, but can it have marquees and custom boxes like MetaBB?
3) Album, does myBB have any photo album plugins?
4) forum pet, no plug but it isn't needed XD
5) forum RPG, same as pet, wasn't really thought out anyway
6) biggy, subforums, I see mybb has it, but can you have subforums in subforums...
7) calender, already integrated with mybb right? does it show birthdays before you where born like in MetaBB LOL, I was born in 1990, but you can see it says i have a birthday in 89.88.87,ect... and they all say (along with birthdays that did occur,) that I'll be 20 (I'm 19), yeah, big glitch.....
8) advanced BBcode , you use mycode right? I found the plugins
9) you can add extra profile fields in metaBB, I haven't seen this via plugin Sad
and I want users to be able to insert css for custom profiles...
10) I've found plugins for everything else I think XD, and things I really want XD

and please tell me theres a new posts plugin, Wink

and how hard is it to write a plugin?

it all sounds great, but even with a blank forum right now, I'm hesitant to make the leap, I just fixed a bunch of issues I've been having with MetaBB.. seems like I'm finally getting somewhere and I'm afraid I'll regret jumping in the myBB pool....

(yeah I can back stuff up though, but just the thought XD)

Edit: How do I edit the poll? does an Admin have to do it for me? *points to next post*
(2009-06-04, 07:13 PM)Draco Wrote: [ -> ]This may be in the wrong area....

I guess it is the wrong area!
The poll should be "take the leap FROM phpBB"

One of the great things about MyBB is that you can make major changes and never touch the PHP code.
(2009-06-04, 09:05 PM)Gene_RI Wrote: [ -> ]The poll should be "take the leap FROM phpBB"

One of the great things about MyBB is that you can make major changes and never touch the PHP code.

AMEN! Big Grin
I have had several attempts at phpBB and it is nowere as good as what these guys have come up with.

Apart from the better software, the support here is far - far - far better.

I hated the way that if you wanted to add a plugin, you had to spend hours adding and deleting code on several files. One wrong comma or letter and the whole thing was up the creek.

I am staying here thanks. Although I would like to upgrade from 1.4.4 to 1.4.6 but my site is going too well and I'm not all that confidant about doing it, without stuffing up.

Well thats my opinion anyway.
"This is the best, bugger the rest"
Geoff
2. ./portal.php is the default MyBB portal.
6. Sure can, I had 100 forums nested once, so the 100th forum had 99 parent forums.
7. Probably not, because it wouldn't be your birthday if you weren't born. MyBB tels you how old you are on each birthday, so if it worked retrospectively, what would it say, -1 years old?? Toungue
8. MyCode is very easy to add, you should have no problem with that Smile
9. Yep, you can add profile fields with MyBB too.

About new posts, there's the two links in the header, do you need another one that loads different things??

With plugins, I would say less than 1% of plugins need you to do any manual edits, and the author usually gives you the file to use so you don't even have to do it yourself. Pretty much every single plugin is just uploading files, activating, configuring.
(2009-06-04, 09:06 PM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-04, 09:05 PM)Gene_RI Wrote: [ -> ]The poll should be "take the leap FROM phpBB"

AMEN! Big Grin

ahh, I see, that's why the poll and posts are giving me different answers XD, but when you account for that, it seems that myBB wins hands down, that outcome may be kind of biased being from the myBB website Big Grin, but I wanted to go to the source, if you will.

and yeah, I noticed that Wink

(2009-06-04, 09:56 PM)geoff Wrote: [ -> ]I have had several attempts at phpBB and it is nowere as good as what these guys have come up with.

I hated the way that if you wanted to add a plugin, you had to spend hours adding and deleting code on several files. One wrong comma or letter and the whole thing was up the creek.

I am staying here thanks. Although I would like to upgrade from 1.4.4 to 1.4.6 but my site is going too well and I'm not all that confidant about doing it, without stuffing up.

Geoff

I believe it, I already have five replies, that are helpful, instead of waiting a few weeks for one... that's always a plus Big Grin

phpBB doesn't have plugins, just mods, that's why their is a huge difference...

and yeah, when it is up the creek, some times you have to take down your whole board until it is resolved.... finding the trouble code out of all the related code, and finding the fix when you have time takes forever, now, if you don't have much freetime, this is a major problem...

(2009-06-04, 10:03 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]2. ./portal.php is the default MyBB portal.
6. Sure can, I had 100 forums nested once, so the 100th forum had 99 parent forums.
7. Probably not, because it wouldn't be your birthday if you weren't born. MyBB tels you how old you are on each birthday, so if it worked retrospectively, what would it say, -1 years old?? Toungue

About new posts, there's the two links in the header, do you need another one that loads different things??

With plugins, I would say less than 1% of plugins need you to do any manual edits, and the author usually gives you the file to use so you don't even have to do it yourself. Pretty much every single plugin is just uploading files, activating, configuring.

99 parent forums o.0

cool, but, with the portal, how customizable is it?

with profile fields, if I enable HTML, my users can just post CSS and HTML in a random field to customize their profile right?

I didn't see the links, thanks,

that's good to hear about the plugins...

I still haven't heard about an album mod but I'm willing to build one, I might need some help though...

how hard would you say is it to code a plugin?

also guys, there is a mod for phpBB, ok not really a mod, a separate script written in php that can be easily linked to the to the forum by adding a link to the forum...

all it is, is a mini player on a linked .php page that loads online radio streams from a list in an xml file.....

let's you stream an unlimited number of radio stations to your forum basically..

I Think I'm going to back up my crap and try this out Big Grin
I used phpBB for my first forum, I hated it. I uses SMF for my second forum, hated that as well. Used MyBB on all my forums after that, loved it. You can do everything through the MyBB ACP so there is no need for file edits.
(2009-06-05, 02:40 AM)Draco Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-04, 09:06 PM)Elegant Totality Wrote: [ -> ]

AMEN! Big Grin

ahh, I see, that's why the poll and posts are giving me different answers XD, but when you account for that, it seems that myBB wins hands down, that outcome may be kind of biased being from the myBB website Big Grin, but I wanted to go to the source, if you will.

and yeah, I noticed that Wink

(2009-06-04, 09:56 PM)geoff Wrote: [ -> ]I have had several attempts at phpBB and it is nowere as good as what these guys have come up with.

Geoff

I believe it, I already have five replies, that are helpful, instead of waiting a few weeks for one... that's always a plus Big Grin

phpBB doesn't have plugins, just mods, that's why their is a huge difference...

and yeah, when it is up the creek, some times you have to take down your whole board until it is resolved.... finding the trouble code out of all the related code, and finding the fix when you have time takes forever, now, if you don't have much freetime, this is a major problem...

(2009-06-04, 10:03 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]2. ./portal.php is the default MyBB portal.

99 parent forums o.0

cool, but, with the portal, how customizable is it?

with profile fields, if I enable HTML, my users can just post CSS and HTML in a random field to customize their profile right?

I didn't see the links, thanks,

that's good to hear about the plugins...

I still haven't heard about an album mod but I'm willing to build one, I might need some help though...

how hard would you say is it to code a plugin?

also guys, there is a mod for phpBB, ok not really a mod, a separate script written in php that can be easily linked to the to the forum by adding a link to the forum...

all it is, is a mini player on a linked .php page that loads online radio streams from a list in an xml file.....

let's you stream an unlimited number of radio stations to your forum basically..

I Think I'm going to back up my crap and try this out Big Grin

With the portal it depends on what you wanna do. I think the possibilities are endless. As mentioned elsewhere i run a weather site and what i have done so i dont end up with overkill on the Portal is use several themes ( a couple i did myself and others ) that relate to a season. Thus for Winter weather related information i have a theme just for that and for Spring ( Severe Weather Season-Tornadoes etc ) i have a theme which has all of that info on the portal and then i have one for Hurricanes/Tropicals Weather. Not is all complete yet but is getting there and will add a general weather theme as well with current weather info and such. I so far have added extra blocks for maps and that sort of thing and edited the side blocks as well for Affillates etc. I as well use quick theme so users can do a quick change to whatever weather info they need on the portal page which i am using for my homepage. ALL of this has been done via the Portal template via ACP.

Believe me i used PHPBB back when and have never looked back sence i switched to MYBB.