MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Sneak Peek of Steven's Direct Plugin Manager v1.6
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have released version 1.4 but my thread has not been validated yet. You can upgrade by clicking on this link.

Back to the sneak peek: View the sneak peek!

Changes To 1.6 So Far
  • Added support to upload from *.zip
  • Added support to notify if you are running a beta release
  • Documentated the plugin "properly" and added a link to the documentation
  • Added a warning about the delete. I may change this to a popup prompt.
As you can see from both the screenshot and point two above, I hope to be selecting a few people to beta test for me. Also, I hope to re-write the code that uploads the plugin - right now it is a jumble of code. It works, but I'm a bit OCD about neat, concise, cohesive code. Big Grin Right now, the ZIP uploading does just that - uploads and unpacks the ZIP straight to the root. I plan to add checks to make sure the ZIP archive is properly constructed, but I don't know if that will make it to the 1.6 release.

I'm also thinking about making this a "premium" release, meaning you'll have to pay to use it. This is by no means final; I really don't want to charge for my plugins. Sad However, I've spent a lot of personal time on this, and I don't want to see that go to waste. Sad

If you have any comments or suggestions, I would really appreciate if you post them below. You can also add me on MSN:
htmlpro [at] q [dot] com

Or AIM:
smashingaltoids
Don't be afraid to release your plugins as premium Steven, to be honest. It's this sort of thing I would expect to pay for really.

Why not approach Labrocca or Nickman to see if they will buy this plugin off you to sell on?... just a thought...
It is a good idea Wink Both yours and Tomm M's
Really nice plugin, some time ago I've started to work on a big plugin that will automate all the process of installing a plugin, you could just enter the url of a zip (or with manual changes a normal url from the official mods site) and this plugin will be installed automatically.

If you want to integrate this to your plugin just contact me.
thats the right way, plugin autors are working together Smile
(2009-06-05, 11:30 AM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Don't be afraid to release your plugins as premium Steven, to be honest. It's this sort of thing I would expect to pay for really.

Why not approach Labrocca or Nickman to see if they will buy this plugin off you to sell on?... just a thought...

Or how about it gets released for free like every single mod/plugin does at SMF/PHPBB?

Why not ask for donations like is done at all of the mod/plugin sites for PHPBB/SMF etc? I find it funny and a bit odd how those people who put a ton of time and effort into thier work dont have this issue unlike a growing number of people here seem to? Why is that?
(2009-06-06, 03:06 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Or how about it gets released for free like every single mod/plugin does at SMF/PHPBB?

Why not ask for donations like is done at all of the mod/plugin sites for PHPBB/SMF etc? I find it funny and a bit odd how those people who put a ton of time and effort into thier work dont have this issue unlike a growing number of people here seem to? Why is that?

I am asking for donations, and as you can see from the screenshot, a Donate button is coded in to the plugin itself. Even with that, I have not received any donations. It is a bit frustrating to spend hours on end working on something that seems no one appreciates. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or expect money donations, but you have to realize I have a life outside of PHP and MyBB.
Look promising. I could see it as a commercial plugin.
(2009-06-06, 03:25 AM)Steven Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-06, 03:06 AM)HarryWx Wrote: [ -> ]Or how about it gets released for free like every single mod/plugin does at SMF/PHPBB?

I am asking for donations, and as you can see from the screenshot, a Donate button is coded in to the plugin itself. Even with that, I have not received any donations. It is a bit frustrating to spend hours on end working on something that seems no one appreciates. I'm not trying to sound arrogant or expect money donations, but you have to realize I have a life outside of PHP and MyBB.

Believe me i hear you. But maybe you are being a little impatient about it? I mean look how long some of those coders/mod/plugin authors have been around doing this sort of thing for the likes of PHPBB/SMF etc living off of just donations? I realize you have a life outside of PHP/MYBB and if it that much of a burden then well maybe this is not for you. Same goes for the others around here who feel the same. I am not saying this to be a wiseguy either. Just understand that i DONT understand why this seems to be just a issue here at MYBB and not one with the mod/plugin authors at the other free systems? I am not blaiming or trying to jump on anyone either. Just a question.

Has it really been a problem with getting people to donate around here?
Let me know if you want any help. This plugin could be HUGE if done right Smile
Pages: 1 2 3