MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: One-click / Auto Update
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
This would be one big and great feature. One click / Auto update of core files and plugins.
It's been suggested before, denied for several reasons.
Oh, didn't know that. But I think it should be included.

What if the webmaster is not available to update the forum to a newer version? The forum would get hacked.....
What if there are no admins around to perform the update? Just because there's a high risk, doesn't mean you are indefinitely going to get hacked.
(2009-06-06, 08:30 PM)kan3 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, didn't know that. But I think it should be included.

What if the webmaster is not available to update the forum to a newer version? The forum would get hacked.....

In that case, it is the webmaster's fault.
No need to argue on that stuff. Maybe your forum is worthless to be hacked, its not the same case with everyone.
(2009-06-06, 08:53 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-06, 08:30 PM)kan3 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, didn't know that. But I think it should be included.

In that case, it is the webmaster's fault.

What if the webmaster is on vacation? What if the webmaster had some serious accident? There are so many more examples BeyBrad, you think yourself.
The downsides clearly outweigh the upsides, if it wasn't considered.
And what are the downsides?
Quote:Maybe your forum is worthless to be hacked, its not the same case with everyone.

Ugh...Brad has a successful forum. If indeed a forum is worthless and not being updated imho it's not a loss for it to be hacked. Even a one-click update still requires an admin to care. It's dangerous to set an auto-update and would lead to other problems.

Quote:No need to argue on that stuff.

Yes...you are right. Just admit you're wrong and we'll forget the whole thing happened.

It always surprises me how lazy admins want to be. If you can't take the 5 minutes to run and update a few time per year you're not worthy of running a forum to begin with. All the time I spend on my forums in comparison to the few minutes I spend to update are miniscule.

1.4x was released Aug 2008...that's 10 months ago. There has been 6 updates. Each would take about 5 minutes to upgrade. 30 minutes in a ten month span...wow...how much lazier can you get?
(2009-06-06, 08:11 PM)Scoutie44 Wrote: [ -> ]It's been suggested before, denied for several reasons.

It hasn't been denied - Just delayed until at least 2.0
Pages: 1 2 3