MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: What am I doing wrong?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I'm setting up my different forums within the forum, and it seems like I have a lot of hoops for people to jump thru unnecessarily. I don't know how to do a screen shot, but here is my site: www.HottPotato.com Can someone tell me how I can shorten the amount of clicks a person has to go thru to post?

Thanks!
Well, you've just got a lot of sub forums. To shorten it, just use less. Now you have 'The Short Story Behind Hott Potato' and then inside that there's 'The Short Story Behind Hott Potato'; what's the point in that?? Why not just put the threads into the first one...??
(2009-06-09, 08:18 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Well, you've just got a lot of sub forums. To shorten it, just use less. Now you have 'The Short Story Behind Hott Potato' and then inside that there's 'The Short Story Behind Hott Potato'; what's the point in that?? Why not just put the threads into the first one...??

lol, I totally agree! When I created the first forum: "The Short Story Behind Hott Potato" it wouldn't let me post unless I had a child forum in it. So I created a child forum. Then I had to post in the child forum, so my list keeps getting longer. How do I just set up one forum and post in it w/o creating a child forum?
I thought that was the case, probably because the first one is set to be a category; if you set it to be a forum, it'll allow posts in there. When editing the forum you should see an option for it being a forum or category; you can't post directly into categories.
(2009-06-09, 08:28 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I thought that was the case, probably because the first one is set to be a category; if you set it to be a forum, it'll allow posts in there. When editing the forum you should see an option for it being a forum or category; you can't post directly into categories.

Thanks for gettin' back to me. ...Well when I make the original forum not a category I get an error message, saying that I need to choose a parent forum. ...Can you walk me (or direct me to an existing post) as to how to set up the categories?
Blush
OK, yeah a forum needs a parent, either a category or another forum... to give an example that's relative to your forum, if the 'What on Earth is Hott Potato?!' is your main category, then the first 'The Short Story Behind Hott Potato' will be a forum, with it's parent being 'What on Earth is Hott Potato?!'
That worked perfectly Matt. Thanks! You're the best!