MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB Coding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello

I did some research the last day about MyBB. Then I saw a lot of people have criticism about the coding of MyBB. It was bad coded blablabla. What does the MyBB support team has to say about this? Was this only in 1.2 or also in 1.4. I understand that you don't want to give your own product bad criticism but what are you guys say to the people that say that Toungue?

Sorry for my bad English and explanation.

Thanks,
Shell
Not really sure what to say, we know there are badly written bits of code, hence the rewrite for 2.0, but it's of a good enough standard to be released, otherwise it wouldn't be... and surely this question would be better asked to the devs, and probably best posted in the team questions thread in the chit-chat forum...
Ok, sorry. Hopefully soon a dever can give some more info Big Grin!
I'm not a MyBB developer, and not a PHP programmer, but during the short time I've used MyBB (half a year, at most?), I've already done several modifications to MyBB code, some of them also released as plugins. From my point of view, the code is well structured, and easy to understand. Compared to other projects, while I've seen better (MyBB can't compete with projects like Drupal who have many more competent developers and financial backing), but I've also seen much MUCH worse. So I don't think there is much to criticize about how the code looks like. And since the code speaks for itself there's not much to say about the matter.

The much more interesting question is, how is this code being maintained by the devs... there are some annoying bugs that haven't seen a fix in ages, but you can't have everything. After all, MyBB is a small project, pursued by a couple of devs as a hobby, it's not like they're doing this as a full time job.
Not really too sure what they mean by "bad" coding, to be honest. MyBB is probably the most feature-rich, lightweight, forum system available - so that has to say something about it.

I think what they mean is that portions of the MyBB code are a few years old so aren't "up-to-date", so to speak, with the latest technology available. As Matt says, 2.0 is a total rewrite - 1.6 will be PHP 5 only - so we're always heading in the right direction people might 'expect' us to go in.

Do you have an example of our "bad" coding? Toungue
I don't, and I don't say MyBB is bad coded. But some people say it look here at the comments.
Most comments there are very positive... I don't see your problem. I doubt you'll find any one piece of software where you get 100% positive comments from every single person. No software is perfect, not every software suits everybody's needs, etc.
Oh, I'll just add that by 'we know there are badly written bits of code' I meant what Tomm said, I that some of it isn't as up-to-date as some, it's been said there's code there from 2004 and before.

And yeah, the only negative comments on the first page is someone seemingly claiming it's our fault that people put extra code into the templates when they make plugins and claim it isn't safe. How they think that's our fault I'll never know, but there we go. Plus the guy who said he's getting errors to non-existing files in the ACP clearly did something wrong with their installation because I don't see anyone else with that problem Toungue
But stuff like this:
Quote:The forum software in itself is decent. It definitely offers more features than any other free alternative, but the code that goes into it is...dodgy at best - extremely overcomplicatd and the lead developer, Ryan Gordon, seems to have just an intermediate knowledge of PHP coding, which is possibly the reason MyBB's code feels so bloated for what it actually does. Hanging around alot makes it feel like a bad attitude is being placed into the project. The inconsistency of the code can make writing plugins a chore for a very simple task. Again, the finished result is much better than average, challenging commercial software. However, it was quicker to write myself a forum software than clean up what's in MyBB.
I think the only statement that's right in that quote is that MyBB challenges commercial software.

MyBB is designed to be lightweight, and isn't over complicated once you get to grasps with it (which, just like anything, takes time) - but as frostschutz says, no software is perfect and it's obvious that MyBB wasn't the right software for the person who left that comment.
Pages: 1 2