MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Are the group images copyrighted or something?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
You know, the developer, management, support and such images.. are they copyrighted or whatever? Not if I'm asking to use them, but I know an admin who loves to copy everything from "cool boards", like graphics and all that.
If I use certain group stars he copies that, or even background images, every cool templates I made, he uses all the plugins I use.. and that's quite annoying.
Also, I remember he used to have labrocca's avatar in his site, as his own avatar.. and now, he has Tochjo's nickname: Tochjo. I don't know why the hell he uses everyone's "stuff".

And now he's using MyBB's group images (not the ones in the core package, but the ones who are in use HERE). Don't ask me why, but I'm so tired he keeps copying everything from other people, I'd like to see him do something ilegal.. Rolleyes

Anyway, are they copyrighted?
I'm not sure if they're 'copyrighted' per se but they were made specially for us and nobody else can use them. I know who's site you mean though, they've been told about it before, 3 times, and as the images are still jot gone, maybe Justin or Ryan or someone needs to talk to them. I'll bring it up and see what can be done.
(2009-06-11, 11:37 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if they're 'copyrighted' per se but they were made specially for us and nobody else can use them. I know who's site you mean though, they've been told about it before, 3 times, and as the images are still jot gone, maybe Justin or Ryan or someone needs to talk to them. I'll bring it up and see what can be done.

Copyright is implied on creation, and the creator has full legal right to submit a DMCA to the site in question and if compliance isn't followed by the site, it can be followed with a DMCA to the host.
Ryan Ashbook, is correct. Right now they're copyrighted solely to us.
So it's kind of "ilegal" right?
(2009-06-11, 02:10 PM)faviouz Wrote: [ -> ]So it's kind of "ilegal" right?

Precisely. Using the images without written permission is against the copyright.
Rather sad that so many people can't just be creative or find a simple alternative.

It's not kind of illegal. It's illegal period. It breaks copyright law especially if he is using it in a commercial site. There are ways to use copyrighted material under fair-use sections of the code but for the most part people just steal material without any clue to the law or how it applies.

Part of the problem is the internet is international. God help you if you want to enforce copyrights across borders. This is why I ban certain countries from my sites. Particularly Turkey. I ban the entire country from Mybb Central because just about all my warez problems were related to a citizen of that nation. Since I banned them...I haven't had any serious warez issues.

I guess my point is that every person must decide how or if they will enforce their copyright. Recently a site used my own HF group image for their own site. I immediately sent off my nasty emails to have them removed. I don't play. I have gotten sites taken down by sending C&D's to hosts. While many might be outside the USA they normally host in a country that does respect copyright.

If you find someone breaking your copyright first get proof (screenshots) then whois their domain. See who the host is and read their TOS/AUP. If you find the clause about copyright violations then contact them, cite their own policy, and provide your proof. Works 99% of the time for me.
(2009-06-11, 08:56 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]

It's not kind of illegal. It's illegal period. It breaks copyright law especially if he is using it in a commercial site. There are ways to use copyrighted material under fair-use sections of the code but for the most part people just steal material without any clue to the law or how it applies.

Part of the problem is the internet is international. God help you if you want to enforce copyrights across borders. This is why I ban certain countries from my sites. Particularly Turkey. I ban the entire country from Mybb Central because just about all my warez problems were related to a citizen of that nation. Since I banned them...I haven't had any serious warez issues.

I guess my point is that every person must decide how or if they will enforce their copyright. Recently a site used my own HF group image for their own site. I immediately sent off my nasty emails to have them removed. I don't play. I have gotten sites taken down by sending C&D's to hosts. While many might be outside the USA they normally host in a country that does respect copyright.

If you find someone breaking your copyright first get proof (screenshots) then whois their domain. See who the host is and read their TOS/AUP. If you find the clause about copyright violations then contact them, cite their own policy, and provide your proof. Works 99% of the time for me.

what about private whois? and domain protection...
(2009-06-11, 10:09 PM)T0m Wrote: [ -> ]what about private whois? and domain protection...

Your still able to get the IP which will lead you to a host Wink.
Pages: 1 2