MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: The most easy upgrade yet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Couldn't find a better place to post this]

Well, i've completed what I'd call the most easy upgrade yet. I upgraded these forums from 1.0 PR2 to 1.0 [Final] (as of the latest code base anyway). It was the easiest and most pain free upgrade I think i've done yet.

Why?

Because of the new commits to the code I did yesterday, you'll no longer lose your custom templates and your custom theme if upgrading from PR2 to Final. Earlier upgrades such as RC4 to Final however will result in loss of templates due to the amount of changes made between those versions.

Basically, the way it works is:
  • The upgrade script imports/updates the master templates in the database. It updates existing ones and creates those which don't exist.
  • The master templates are then updated to contain a MyBB version code (100.07 for final)
  • After the upgrade is complete, you go to the Admin CP and use the 'Find Updated' tool in the templates section.
  • This tool identifies any custom templates you have which have a lower version number than the master templates.
  • You then use the tool to either edit the custom templates to contain updates, or revert them to the originals
  • If you wish to see which changes have been made, you can use the inline 'diff' analysis tool which will hilight the changes made between the master and custom templates.

The themes also weren't lost even though the master CSS was updated.

I think i'll go and relax now while you guys have a chance to find some bugs Toungue
will there be a change-file from PR2 to 1.0 to upgrade heavily modified boards?

cheers,
Kimmo

ohhhhh great idea, thats super! also RC4 mods are really easy to upgrade to PR2 which is good Smile
ahem! Any comment on this??? I will have "VERY HEAVILY" modified site opening up next week and we've gone ahead and fixed ourselves the age-issue (topping at 35), hide-email/show-email and a number of smaller issues on our board. I understand that these are already solved in the latest build of the 1.0...just not yet public...

So I don't want to render all my other mods useless by replacing files where a simple code-change will suffice....but I would need a MOD-file or a change-file in order to do this....is there going to be one?

cheers,
Kimmo
There won't be a changed files list because the list of changes is quite extensive, as you'll see from the list of fixed bugs.

You'll see that in a few hours Wink
ouch....not even a file list? My developer has a MOD-file for all the stuff he does, but it would be helpful to at least get an idea of which files have changed if the actual changes are not listed.....
Well, I suppose I could whip up a file list, but i'm telling you this now, most files are affected too..
honestly if you installed mods, just install them again they are easy to upgrade!
I am talking about our own mods...not published anywhere...a totally new mass-email -system, CMS, WYSIWYG-editors, modified authorizations for special groups, customized template in cases...
so it's a lot...but sounds like there's a lot that has changed between PR2 and 1.0 as well....well just have to wait and see
Basically Kimmo has got a hell of a lot of work done to integrate MyBB into his site Wink