MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Subscription Permissions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
deleted
What exactly does being blacklisted mean?
The day an actual human being creates 10 legit accounts, to the same email, on a single forum, is the day I start eating vicodin for breakfast.
Does it really send a mail for every single post? I thought it was already limited somehow, such as you have to visit the forum once in order to get a new mail or something?

Mailing lists can send a daily digest (one daily mail report) instead of sending every single mail out. Instead of disabling the feature entirely you could make a similar limit for MyBB, such as send only one mail per x minutes, and if there are more mails, combine them...
I was blocked by Yahoo for about a day, in the rejection e-mail they included a link and on that link was a form I had to fill out to have my domain marked as a "mass mailer" or something like that. Pretty much I had to show them that the e-mails the users were receiving were all automated based on the subscription level they set in their user account options.
Ok,

Besides the fact that an actual human creating 10 accounts, to the same email, on the same forum, is highly unrealistic, you should also note that by default you do not actually subscribe to something until you reply to it and leave the "Subscribe" option checked, or you subscribe to an entire forum or a thread.

And in fact, the default thread subscription mode is "Do not subscribe".
(2009-06-13, 04:17 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]And I gave an extreme example but it's realistic and it can happen and mybb offers no method to stop that scenario or to curb it.

You should at least research your facts. MyBB does offer a staggering solution for that specific highly unlikely scenario. MyBB puts emails that are going to be sent out as thread subscriptions in the mailqueue table. The mailqueue sends 10 out of that entire mailqueue every time someone visits a page in your forum.

If for some reason that, that doesn't even work for you. It takes 2 seconds to tweak the value for how many it sends out per-go. And it takes no more then a couple of minutes to throw together a custom task and disabling the way it currently works.

(2009-06-13, 04:17 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]Do you want me to give it a try here Ryan? If it's so harmless then you shouldn't mind.

I would love to see you try.