MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Prim. group settings overruled by sec. group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've created three publically joinable groups for my PR2 board.
Problem:
PM and attachment quota settings of the primary group are overruled by those of the secondary group.
Example why this is no good:
If I set the sec. group quotas to what they are in the prim. group "registered users", all mods, supermods and admins who join one of the custom groups are limited to that setting.
If I don't set any quotas for the secondary groups, registered users aren't limited anymore once they've joined one of them.
I can't see any logical reason for this to be as it is, so I assume it to be a bug.

One more rather cosmetical issue:
While "Receive emails from other members." is enabled it shows "Yes" for "Hide Email Address" in that particular user's options in the Admin CP. It's always the opposite sense.Wink

Can
This was the way the system was designed.

MyBB was designed so that when a user is a member of more than one group, the higher value for that certain permission from those groups was applied to the user.

For example, if you limit your Administrators to 10 private messages then place them in another group with a limit of 20, their limit would be 20 private messages. If you enter 0 in that other group, then they would have unlimited, because 0 is the greater value in that circumstance too.

Hopefully you understand that, because it can get a bit confusing.

With the "receive email" problem, it's been fixed in the next version.

Regards,
Chris
Thanks for your answer.Smile

You're right, this is confusing me a bit.
And at least to me it doesn't make much sense.
I see the secondary usergroups more as a way of sorting users for better communication between admins and users, having the option of sending just these users emails or PMs. If I want a user to have more rights I would rather assign him to another group as primary group. If I want to know what a user can or cannot do I'd have to check all the usergroups he's in instead of just one, the primary usergroup.
I haven't tested it but I guess it's the same with forum permissions. First I have to know which groups a user is in, then a combination of the least restrictive settings of these groups will decide where that user can go and what he can do there. I think this could be very confusing.
Another example why I think it can be a problem the way it is now:
As I wrote in my initial post, I have these three groups that are supposed to sort users by interests. Then I have a restricted 4th group that newly registered users are assigned to. They have to qualify for a full membership (5th group) first. But since there is no option for preventing users of a certain group to join another group I can't make my interest groups publically joinable. Instead I would have to put each member into these groups via admin cp and would also have to remove them that way.Rolleyes

Just trying to get my point across, stop me if I'm getting on your nerves here...Wink

Can
Thought about this:
Chris Wrote:For example, if you limit your Administrators to 10 private messages then place them in another group with a limit of 20, their limit would be 20 private messages. If you enter 0 in that other group, then they would have unlimited, because 0 is the greater value in that circumstance too.
Does this mean, that if the administrators' pm quota is set to 0 and that of the secondary group is set to 50, the admin setting is used because its higher? That's not working, I get limited to 50 as an admin once I join that group. If I set the admin's qouta to 200 it does work tho. Seems the code takes a 0 just as a normal value that's smaller than 50.
Same goes for attachment quota.

Can
Thankfully Dennis reminded me about this before I was getting ready to release the new version.

We've identified it as a bug and have fixed it ready for release.

Cheers
On a related note, I've found that if a user is in more than 1 group, their attachment quota equals that of the lowest group they are in. (This is a 1.2.3 version board, by the way.)

So, on my board, my administrator account was limited to only 10MB of attachments because I made myself a member of a secondary group with that limit.

Shouldn't this be tweaked so that this works like the situations you guys were discussing above? Shouldn't the greatest limit be used on attachments?