MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Error 404 problem - Forum is DOWN - Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I've had a problem for the past week. Any attempt to access my forum returns an Error 404 - "The requested URL was not found on this server.". I've checked and modified all permissions, uploaded and installed the latest MyBB update (1.4.6) and still getting the same error.

I am able to sign in to Admin, but get this error on a number of functions, including the 'General Configuration' options. Most other configuration options work.

I've run out of ideas. Can anybody helP?

Thanks,
Shawn
Your URL would be helpful....

Edit: Found it with a search, kinda helpful to include it in your first post if it's an issue like this.... if it's still http://www.bmwrsm.org/forums/ are you sure your files are all there....?? A 404 is a 404, means it can't find the file... and if they are there, what are they CHMOD to??
As far as I know, The 404 or Not Found error message is when the client was able to communicate with the server but the server could not find what was requested. In other words, when pages have been moved or deleted or when the link to your site was misspelled when typing it to the browser. That said, can you check for the index.php file in the root of your forum folder, if it is still there? If I was you, I would contact the host as well.
The link IS http://www.bmwrsm.org/forums/ - I have upgraded to the latest version of MyBB (1.4.6) and uploaded ALL files in the upgrade, as directed. Confirmed that index.php is in the directory. I have CHmod all files in the directory and subs to 755.

The files exist, which is why it is so confusing. I contacted the host originally and was told, 'maybe the index.php file was corrupt'. So I renamed that file, uploaded a backup... no change. Then, I downloaded the latest update and updated the version. Still no change.
There's no need for them to be 755, 644 is fine, some hosts don't want CHMOD settings like that and may block the file, so try changing the CHMODs to the usual 644.
(2009-06-14, 08:13 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]There's no need for them to be 755, 644 is fine, some hosts don't want CHMOD settings like that and may block the file, so try changing the CHMODs to the usual 644.

Thanks, but Chmod to 644 results in 403 error, forbidden. So, they've been set back to 755.
Is there anything in your .htaccess that isn't default MyBB?? If there isn't, and you're sure the files are in the right directory, I can't see this being a MyBB problem, sounds host related... a CHMOD of 644 should not result in a 403, 644 is the standard setting, the fact that gives a 403 says something's wrong with the host...
If it is host problem then how he is able to open the main page i think it happens because oh .htaccess he is enabled it
(2009-06-14, 09:13 PM)alsofts Wrote: [ -> ]If it is host problem then how he is able to open the main page i think it happens because oh .htaccess he is enabled it

I had enabled the .htaccess at a point when things were not working. I have disabled it again and still have the same problem. So, .htaccess has been removed.

The Error Log is showing the following message: "File does not exist: /usr/local/4admin/apache/vhosts/bmwrsm.org/httpdocs/forumdisplay.php". I don't understand why the path is off the root and not the /forums/ directory. Especially with no redirects in the .htaccess, why would it be looking for this file in the root directory?

The host hasn't been a lot of help and continues to point to the software. (e.g. the setup is wrong since I loaded an update). The config.php is the same as it was originally. All items look correct. And, again, why am I able to get to most of the admin screens yet not the forum?

Thanks,
Shawn
What I'm more confused about is why a CHMOD of 644 gives a 403... try CHMODing them to 444, maybe they have crazily strict security settings...
Pages: 1 2 3