MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Plugin Development Center
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I've been thinking about doing a new plugin recently. This would be a Plugin Development Center. Much like vBulletin, you would be able to create the entire plugin from the Administration CP. You would be able to fill out the text inputs, and it would write the file, info, activation, and run functions from those. I've never attempted something like this, so this wouldn't be as easy as it may sound.

I will try to implement Codepress to make editing easier and more stylish. It may also be possible to use a system where you choose your hook from a drop down list of all the files.

If I do decide to make this, it will be about 2-3 months before a release. I have a lot of other things to do, so I can't work on it day and night.

Before I do it, I just want to make sure people would use it. I'm also wondering if people would use it if I charged maybe $5 or $10. Pretty cheap for being able to develop plugins even faster, IMO.

Leave your thoughts! Thanks! Smile
Why would anyone use or even buy your plugin when they can just as well use <insert free text editor here>. This is similar to Steven's Plugin Manager, why would anyone buy it if you can just as well use <insert free ftp client here>. Especially when the already existing solutions are arguably much more powerful than what can be offered in a plugin.
Quote:Why would anyone use or even buy your plugin when they can just as well use <insert free text editor here>. This is similar to Steven's Plugin Manager, why would anyone buy it if you can just as well use <insert free ftp client here>. Especially when the already existing solutions are arguably much more powerful than what can be offered in a plugin.

I agree Smile
I guess newbies would like it Toungue
(2009-06-16, 04:02 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Why would anyone use or even buy your plugin when they can just as well use <insert free text editor here>. This is similar to Steven's Plugin Manager, why would anyone buy it if you can just as well use <insert free ftp client here>. Especially when the already existing solutions are arguably much more powerful than what can be offered in a plugin.
This is not a manager. This is a development center. This would be designed for people developing plugins, not administrators needing a way to upload and manage plugins easier.
i love it! waiting for this~
(2009-06-16, 04:57 PM)DougSD Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-16, 04:02 PM)frostschutz Wrote: [ -> ]Why would anyone use or even buy your plugin when they can just as well use <insert free text editor here>. This is similar to Steven's Plugin Manager, why would anyone buy it if you can just as well use <insert free ftp client here>. Especially when the already existing solutions are arguably much more powerful than what can be offered in a plugin.
This is not a manager. This is a development center. This would be designed for people developing plugins, not administrators needing a way to upload and manage plugins easier.

he means like what would happen with his plugin..

i would rather use dreamweaver or notepad++..... easier plus i get a backup. and if i f something up i can't fix it easy on your plugin.
I would use it if you could successfully speed up plugin development time. I would focus on making the activate/deactivate functions quicker. Having to hand code them, escape characters, and such is time consuming. Would be awesome to fill in a form and it all gets dropped in.

Not sure if you can pull it off but I do wish you luck.
(2009-06-17, 12:15 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]I would use it if you could successfully speed up plugin development time. I would focus on making the activate/deactivate functions quicker. Having to hand code them, escape characters, and such is time consuming. Would be awesome to fill in a form and it all gets dropped in.

I agree, it would be awesome if plugin development could be speeded up. It would be interesting to see the difference in speed against software anyway.

Good luck Doug! Toungue
If it could speed things up, which, mind you, is a big if, then perhaps you could find a use, otherwise, simply copying and modifying a template is so much easier.