MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: I need computer help, again! LOL
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My mom's computer needed a new hard drive. So I got one from best buy and replaced it in the tower. I did all that correctly, it was a simple task. Now when I start up her computer, it shows:
-------------------
Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 084)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realteck RTL813(X)/8130/810X PCI Fast Ethernet Controller v2.16 (041224)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
----------------------

Her PC is windows xp. can i download a bootdisk for free and what would i need to do to get her PC working again? her pc is an emachines desktop
reinstall windows xp. new drive means dataloss. (complete) or clone the drive/
Okay but I need to know where I can download this at? hopefully free and what I need to do? do i need to mess with anything in net bios and all that?

I ask yall folks on here cause yall seem smart in this area Smile
If you have the eMachine recovery disk you're in luck, if not you'll need to go purchase a copy of Windows to reinstall it (or possibly call eMachine to try and order a recovery disk).
Also note that some recovery CDs don't like it when the hardware in the PC changes, although I think you should be ok with just one change. I think it's three or more changes that makes the windows key on the recovery CD no longer be "valid".
It will still be valid but will require you to call Microsoft to activate the license. I have to do this everytime I get a new motherboard. Sad
So the recovery disk isn't free? Sad
If you have a recovery disk, it will have come with the PC when you got it. If you don't, then you'll have to get a copy of Windows somehow...
How much is a recovery disk?
Most of the time the company will charge around $15 for a recovery CD, which compared to the cost of a Windows license is a great deal. Newer PCs let you create your own but in your case you have to order a disk or purchase a copy of Windows.
Pages: 1 2