MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Some things to fix on new installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I've just installed MyBB to test it.
I have imported (converted) data from phpBB3. All this steps went fine until the last one: attachments. After corrected a fault of mine the program still told me that there was an error reading the attach folder.
I finally got it going back to the conversion list and then forward again instead or retrying.

One problem I found with conversion is that the user's post number is reset to 0. How can I fix this? This number is easy to calculate, I believe.

The other thing is that I have downloaded the Spanish language but there's some important lack in translation. One of them is in the main bar: Search - member list ---- The search options aren't translated either.
How can I translate them?

Can I customize that bar? I don't want a public member list.

There's is a pandemic, not of influenza but virus of junky people registering on forums to post spam. Because I cannot be watching my forum all the time I had to set it to manual admitting all subscriptions. This is not desirable if a subscriber wants to post almost inmediately.
Is there another solution, another cure!?

Thank you.
ACP > Tools & Maintenance > Recount & Rebuild > run the first 4.

They'll probably be in the global.lang.php file of the Spanish language pack, you can edit them there.

You edit that in the header template, remove the code for the link.

You could enable the Akismet plugin and see if that catches the spam, but that has it's drawbacks as it can miss some spam and does have false positives sometimes... you could try setting the registration method to email activation, that might stop some of them.
Hello Matt, thanks for your quick reply.
There was an advice to rebuild the forum but I didn't find on a first sight and some warning let me forget it. Now I ran first four but the fifth, still post # are all set to 0.

About the spammers, I always have set mail activation subscription (and captcha). It seems like real human been spammers attempt to register even it is me as admin who has to aprove their registration.
Their account name give themselves away. Regular people tend to use regular usernames.
It happens 5-7 times/day average.

BTW, Is it possible to display previous post while writing a new one?
I cannot seen it here, and it is useful to refer what other users are saying
Thank you.
PS: the language problem was originated because an incomplete chmod changes
(2009-06-21, 11:21 PM)marciano Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Matt, thanks for your quick reply.
There was an advice to rebuild the forum but I didn't find on a first sight and some warning let me forget it. Now I ran first four but the fifth, still post # are all set to 0.

Oh, I just remembered a bug that's probably causing this. Run this query in phpMyAdmin:

UPDATE `mybb_forums` SET `usepostcounts` = '1';

Make sure your table prefix is correct. Then go to ACP > Tools & Maintenance > Cache Manager > Rebuild the Forums cache, and then run those 4 recount and rebuilds again, then the post counts should be right.

I'll try and reply on the other parts of your post tomorrow.
That was good. Posts count is okay now.

And I have another question for tomorrow: is it possible to have the admin pages in English instead of Spanish like the main forum?
I am used to English without translation. If one has to post a question it must be in English so some translations may be missunderstood.
Thanks.
(2009-06-22, 12:43 AM)marciano Wrote: [ -> ]...is it possible to have the admin pages in English instead of Spanish like the main forum?...

To be honest, I'm not too sure! If you edit the Spanish language pack's properties, and set the "Contains AdminCP variables" to no, that might force MyBB to default back to the English language. I haven't tested this though.
Or, if I'm understanding correctly, you could just upload the English admin language files to overwrite the Spanish admin language files.
Quote:BTW, Is it possible to display previous post while writing a new one?
I cannot seen it here, and it is useful to refer what other users are saying
Thank you.

I don't what happened when I wrote that old post. The previous posts were not displayed...
Great!
I substituted the /lang/admin and now admin pages are displayed in English while the main forum is in Spanish. Thank you!