MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Will they buy just to protect their brand?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2009-06-22, 05:23 PM)Infranight Wrote: [ -> ]Actually it wasn't even close.
I think Microsoft took this one too crazy.
It was MikeRoweSoft.com:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_vs_MikeRoweSoft

Quote:In late January 2004, it was revealed that the two parties had come to an out of court settlement, with Microsoft taking control of the domain.[14] In return Microsoft agreed to pay all of the expenses that Rowe had incurred including setting up a new site at and redirecting traffic to MikeRoweforums.com.[15] Additionally Microsoft provided Rowe with a subscription to the Microsoft Developer Network, an all expenses paid trip for him and his family to the Microsoft Research Tech Fest at their headquarters in Redmond, Washington, training for Microsoft certification and an Xbox with a selection of games.[10] Following an on-line poll, Rowe donated most of his legal defense fund to a children's hospice and used the remaining money for his future university education.

i dunno seems like it worked out pretty well for everyone involved
MikeRoweforums.com

That's a waste.
Apple can't just take AppleX, since it isn't the same thing, and the word 'apple' is too generic of a term.

Now, if the domain was iPodX.com or something like that, that would be a different story.
(2009-06-22, 09:08 PM)Zash Wrote: [ -> ]Apple can't just take AppleX, since it isn't the same thing, and the word 'apple' is too generic of a term.

Why do you mean? When people ask me if I want an apple I never think of the fruit.
Lol, really? Maybe I haven't been online long enough.
If people ask me if I want an apple, I'd think of the fruit.
And as for generic, it is, and Apple might win, but if you have good backup/support/lawyer, you are likely to win.
I think it's more or less a matter of whether or not Apple needs the domain. It's not like they're going to go buy and shut-down every Apple Sucks website out there, as it's not worth the time nor effort.

Perhaps if the domain was offering a competitive product, maybe, or if Apple required the name for a product, like iPod.com.
you'd probably only get away with applex if you actually hosted a site about apple stuff on it (be it the fruit or the computer company)

if you actively tried to sell it to apple, or simply squatted on it, they'd probably take it
Okay,so how about if someone buy

microsoftapple.com ?

any comment on this name? 2 big company we combine together?
(2009-06-23, 01:50 AM)msyahrizan Wrote: [ -> ]Okay,so how about if someone buy

microsoftapple.com ?

any comment on this name? 2 big company we combine together?

they'll probably both come after you
Why the heck do you want to get yourself into some trouble? If you're thinking about a get rich quick scheme (note that none of them work Wink there's nothing called "No Work, 110% gain"), then forget about it. You're either going to lose the domain, or get into deep trouble then lose the domain.
Pages: 1 2 3