MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: GNU GPL v3 license help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I created a PHP application for a website that I go to. All of their info was in disarray so i made a CMS.

I want to choose a license to release this software under. I thought at first that I might want to use the GNU GPL v3 license, i just need a little help on someone explaining it to me.

With the software that I created, it's only for ONE site, and I'm not going to distribute it to the users of that site, except for anyone who want to help me code it. So it would be closed Source.

I'm not going to charge the website for the PHP application.

My question is that is my PHP application GNU GPL v3 compatible (or LGPL/AGPL)? or should I consider a different license.

And if it passes the GNU GPL license requirements, where would i go get a copy of the license.

Thanks for any help.
see www.gnu.org for all sorts of info on the gnu gpl license... you can make your app GPL, but if you do, the users you give the code to, are allowed to pass the code on to others... so in the end it would be open source.

if you want it to be closed source, don't use an open source license then...
You should check out creative commons if you want it to be closed..
creative commons is not for software
I'd go for a BSD style license. It's (in my opinion) far less restrictive than the GPL. There's a blog entry here that sums up why I dislike it rather well.

But let's not turn this into a GPL vs Not-GPL war.
(2009-06-23, 04:15 AM)Firestryke31 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd go for a BSD style license. It's (in my opinion) far less restrictive than the GPL.

I wants to keep it closed source though Toungue.
Permission is hereby granted to any person or organization obtaining a copy of the software and accompanying documentation covered by this license (the "Software") to use the Software, subject to the following:

* The user may not redistribute the Software without prior permission by the author

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR ANYONE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

Threw together a quick license copy and pasted from the Boost license with a few modifications to make it closed source. Be sure to add whatever you need to the license to make it fit your needs.

Also, I'm not a lawyer, so I can't guarantee that this will stand up in court in the unlikely event that it ever needs to. In other words:

THE LICENSE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OR ANYONE DISTRIBUTING THE LICENSE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE LICENSE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE LICENSE.