MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Move forum to category on new forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Guys,

I have a few forums that are very low traffic.

i want to combine them into one forum.

For example, Forum A is going to have all of its posts go into a category on Forum B. What would be the best way to move this over?

Please don't tell me I have to do this manually Smile

Looking for advice... thanks!

Mark
Well, it will have to be manual to some extent... how many threads are we talking about??
"Our members have made a total of 3,961 posts in 332 threads."

What would you suggest to make my life easier trying to do this? Smile

How about moving the users over too... any way to do this?

Thanks so much!
You would have to go into each forum you want to move all threads out of before deleting, then selecting all threads you wish to move to another forum. Then you can delete the forum. That's about the only way I can see you doing it without just deleting every thread in the specifc forum.
(2009-06-22, 09:16 PM)Steve Moore Wrote: [ -> ]You would have to go into each forum you want to move all threads out of before deleting, then selecting all threads you wish to move to another forum. Then you can delete the forum. That's about the only way I can see you doing it without just deleting every thread in the specifc forum.

So if I just move everything from the old db table to the new one, and change the fid, will this work?

What about the users?
Wait, this is with two totally separate installations?? I was under the impression you were just moving them from one forum to another on the same installation...
Oh crap, re-read that, I was under the impression it was one database, not 2. My bad.

I'm not sure yet, but I believe the MyBB converter can move that stuff for you. Don't hold me to that as I have yet to take a look at the converter.
Yeah I would go with the Merge System too, that way you won't have the problem of having to make sure there's no duplicate IDs, it will do everything for you. Give it a whirl on a localhost to see how it works and test it out.
Ah, didn't know MyBB had a merge system.

I'll research, and post any questions Thanks!
BTW how do you move posts from 1 forum to another? Same DB and same forum?
Pages: 1 2