MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: New Install: Could not connect to database server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can't seem to get it to work for the life of me. No matter what I try, I get this message:

[b]Error[/b]

There seems to be one or more errors with the database configuration information that you supplied:

* Could not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. Are you sure the hostname and user details are correct?

Once the above are corrected, continue with the installation.

Using MySQL Improved

Database Server Hostname: localhost
Database Username: admin
Database Password: xxxxxxx
Database Name: forum

I did a search and saw that other people where having this problem, but a solution was never provided. Thanks in advance for your help/
Well, we can't tell you what the details need to be, we have no way of telling you what to put here at all. You should ask your host if you don't know what your details are, we can't tell you them.
I am putting the details from the database that I created.

It will not connect to the database server at 'localhost' with the supplied username and password. I am using the username and password that I created for the MySQL database.

Why can't MyBB be in Fantastico as it would make life easier? haha
Get this, so I contacted my host provider and he used the same username/password that I created and it didn't work. He tried again under MySQL (not MySQL Improved) and it worked like a charm!

Since this is a test site and I am interested in learning MyBB, I delete the database and start over with the new info that I created, but following the way the tech did it... and guess what, still no worky for me.

This is crazy. MyBB is possessed by the devil. haha
Okay, the issue was simple. In "Database Name" I was putting in "forum" when I was suppose to use "ohmyshit_forum".
have you tried in the install where it asks for db info, in the bit where it says mysqli changing it to mysql?
It was my error, I put in the wrong info in the "Database Name:" field.