MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Lost Super Admin??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello

I'm not sure how this has happened but the admin I set up the forums with (I think this is the super admin) has some how lost its admin privileges and become a normal user.

I tried rectifying this with one of my other admin accounts but I get this message on all of them

"You do not have permission to edit this user because you are not a super administrator."

But as I said the only user that I believe was a "super administrator" was the original user I set up the board with.

is there anyway I can get my admin back to a super admin or set another admin up as a super admin?

I have tried restoring my database with phpmyadmin my dumb host wont edit php.ini to let me upload database backups of more then 2mb Huh

All and any help is much appreciated!

Kind Regards
Jonathan
can you get into the admin permissions area?
I certainly can..
make sure you have access to do everything, that should do it Toungue
Just checked, i do have access ti do everything but i still get the message "You do not have permission to edit this user because you are not a super administrator." when i try to make somone an admin Huh
Yeah, you can't edit your main account with a normal admin account because a normal admin account cannot edit a super admin.

Just run this query in phpMyAdmin and your usual account will be back to normal:

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `usergroup` = '4' WHERE `uid` = '1';

Make sure your table prefix is mybb_ and your UID is 1.
ok so I only installed phpmyadmin today and am a complete novice, I apologise or being so dumb lol but could you possibly explain exactly what I should do so I don't *beep* it up Smile
OK, when you're there, you should see a list on the left that has your database in it. Click that, and then along the top of the screen you should see a number of tabs, Browse, Structure, SQL etc, click the one called SQL, paste the code in, and click Go. It should say that 1 row has been affected.
EDITED: i found out how to solve this, i went into config.php and saw this;

/**
 * Super Administrators
 *  A comma separated list of user IDs who cannot
 *  be edited, deleted or banned in the Admin CP.
 *  The administrator permissions for these users
 *  cannot be altered either.
 */

$config['super_admins'] = '1';

I simply replaced the ='1'; with the username of one of my other admins and used that one to promote the old super admin back to an admin then added him in to config.php under the "$config['super_admins']" variable too!

Thanks for trying to help anyways! hopefully this will help others if they are dumb enough to have their super admin demote himself.... Toungue