MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: is this a bug or this feature not available
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm new with myBB,I have a few question

in other board software like vB and phpBB there is a custom setting that allow guests to view forum,read forum but cannot read topic before they become members.

But in myBB only have view forum and view topic inside forum.This makes guest can read topic without have to register first,and this is a big problem for me that makes no new members register.Sad

So guest can just read topic and go away soon they get the info they need inside the forum.Confused

Can someone explaine this ?
Guests can be allowed to view forum, and can be restricted to NOT view threads within it and vice versa

To restrict them to NOT view threads then follow these steps,

AdminCP > Users and Groups > Groups > Guests > Edit > Forums and Posts > and Untick the option 'Can view threads?'
Or if you want for a particular forum, when editing the permissions -> "Set Permissions" -> 4th thing on the list. "Can read threads within forum"
Smile
Quote:Guests can be allowed to view forum, and can be restricted to NOT view threads within it and vice versa

To restrict them to NOT view threads then follow these steps,

AdminCP > Users and Groups > Groups > Guests > Edit > Forums and Posts > and Untick the option 'Can view threads?'

Quote:Or if you want for a particular forum, when editing the permissions -> "Set Permissions" -> 4th thing on the list. "Can read threads within forum"
Smile

I know about that,but if we do that guest cannot see the title of the post
And all they see is a blank thing

here is screenshot with phpBB using setting :
> * can view forum* ,
> *can view topic* ,but
> *cannot red topic(thread)*

[Image: 4q3akg.jpg]

and this screenshot from myBB using setting
> *can view forum*,but
> *cannot view thread inside forum*

[Image: 126e0e0.jpg]

is like theres something missing here.
how can guest get interested to register when they can't see who posted and what topic are in the forum.
In this case you have to set permissions of that forum.

Go to Admin CP > Forums and Posts > Select Forum > Edit > Permissions > and untick the option to not see the threads .

This will restrict the guests to not view the threads within the forum However they still an see the title of the post (threads) in the index page.
(2009-06-23, 05:27 AM)ghazal Wrote: [ -> ]In this case you have to set permissions of that forum.

Go to Admin CP > Forums and Posts > Select Forum > Edit > Permissions > and untick the option to not see the threads .

This will restrict the guests to not view the threads within the forum However they still an see the title of the post (threads) in the index page.

in myBB there are only 2 option for viewing forum permission for guests

1. can see forum
2. can view thread inside forum

so if I disable option no 2 guests can only see this picture

[Image: 126e0e0.jpg]

But in phpBB there are 3 option for viewing forum permission for guests

1. can see forum
2. can see forum topic
3. can read topic

So if I disable option no 3 guests can see this picture

[Image: 4q3akg.jpg]

so if I enable option no 2 in myBB guests can see and read topic without register

BR
You mean the title of the thread?
This needs to be a Plugin.
Please post it HERE Smile
This shouldnt be a plugin,maybe next version of myBB should have this feature available

Anyway Thanks

BR,
It shouldn't be a plugin, as it was default in MyBB before 1.4.5. See http://community.mybboard.net/thread-49276.html

1.4.8 should see it being the way you're suggesting.
There's a setting in ACP -- Configuration -- Settings -- Forum Home Options -- hide private forums. You'd want to set that to 'no'.