MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Can't change 'Board Settings' or anything else in ACP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Guess I'm in over my head on this one guys. I tried to make it work, just can't do it. Not sure why I am the only person in the world to have this problem. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who uses hostgator for MyBB, so its hard to imagine that its a server issue.

Guess MyBB just isn't for me. Back to SMF I go...

Thanks for trying to help me. I'll check back time to time to see if any other people have the same issues or if this becomes a recognized bug or any hostgator complaints.

Edit: Looks like someone had the problem way back in 2005, unfortunately nobody posted the resolution to the issue
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-3374.html
Please CHMOD your inc/settings.php to 0777. Usually this isn't required but some servers have weird setups requiring 0777. 0666 works for most servers, but it looks like yours isn't one of them. Once you have done that, try and edit a setting and it should work. If it doesn't come back and let me know.

What browser are you using when adding a forum? What exactly happens? Do you get an error message? Does it give you a success message? Does it return you to some other page?

Do you have any plugins installed or have made any modifications?

Ryan
I changed the inc/settings.php to 777 and still no worky. When I try to save settings or add a forum, it just refreshes the page and nothing changes. no error message, no success messages..

Is there suppose to be a settings.php file in the admin folder btw? I don't see any admin/settings.php, just asking cause it's only the admin that's giving me fits.

Ryan, if you like I can PM you my ftp and forum info to take a peak for yourself.

Oh, and I used both firefox and IE. I use fireftp for my ftp stuff
Do you have mod_security on your server? If so, have you tried this? http://wiki.mybboard.net/index.php/Help:..._and_newer
I contacted hostgator and demanded that they disable the mod_security and it works now.

So if anyone reads this thread that has Hostgator and encounters this same issue, contact hostgator (or your server provider) on their live chat and ask them to disable the mod_security.

Thank you guys for spending so much time trying to help me. I hope this thread saves other people potential needless headaches from such a simple issue.
(2009-06-24, 08:08 AM)MrSandMan Wrote: [ -> ]I contacted hostgator and demanded that they disable the mod_security and it works now.

So if anyone reads this thread that has Hostgator and encounters this same issue, contact hostgator (or your server provider) on their live chat and ask them to disable the mod_security.

Thank you guys for spending so much time trying to help me. I hope this thread saves other people potential needless headaches from such a simple issue.

There are actually several threads about this issue already, including a suggestion to correct this in an upcoming version of MyBB ...

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-51151.html
(2009-06-24, 03:16 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-06-24, 08:08 AM)MrSandMan Wrote: [ -> ]I contacted hostgator and demanded that they disable the mod_security and it works now.

There are actually several threads about this issue already, including a suggestion to correct this in an upcoming version of MyBB ...

http://community.mybboard.net/thread-51151.html

Yeah, I spent 3 hours searching this support forum and the interweb and could only find one issue like I was having. See, it didn't throw a 403 error which was part of the problem. If it had thrown that error, then I'd known to look for it. When I first contacted hostgator about this issue he told me if there was no 403 error, it would be pointless to whitelist the mod_security.

I stayed up nearly 2 full days working on this issue, so trust me.. if it was as easy as doing a simple search to find the solution, I wouldn't be so tired right now and my wife wouldn't be mad at me for not coming to bed. Smile

Sometimes [maybe rarely] this issue doesn't throw a 403 error and all I was left with was searching for a similar problem with the information I had.

P.S. hostgator actually suggested that I NOT have the mod_security disabled unless there was a 403 error. The 2nd time I contacted them, I demanded that they disable the mod_security despite not having any 403 error.
I had hostgator for awhile and finally had to switch hosts due to issues I had with specific forum software not working properly and them always blaming software. They are a good host but hard to deal with, I'm just glad you were able to get hostgator to do what you wanted.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to insinuate you hadn't looked for an answer! I just wanted to show you that you're not alone. Smile
The MyBB 1.6 ACP will probably feature dashes (other something else) by default instead of the slashes that we currently use. This should hopefully fix the mod_security problems people have been having with the ACP. So the old one will be depreciated, but will still work for legacy URLs.
Pages: 1 2 3