MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Question about the upgrade to 1.4.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a question about the latest upgrade which has just been published. It's probably pretty simple but just in case (I'm running 1.4.7):

So I first have to follow the instructions in the .txt Patch file:

Quote:MyBB 1.4.7 to MyBB 1.4.8 Patch

This patch is only for users running MyBB 1.4.7. [...]

Please download “mybb_1407_patches.txt” and follow the instructions in that file.

And after that I need to do the usual by downloading the changed_files:

Quote:Upgrading from the 1.4 series

When upgrading from 1.4.7, you will not lose any custom themes, plugins or language packs which you may have installed.
[..]
You may download a ZIP archive of changed files here:

changed_files_1408.zip

And run the upgrade script again etc. etc.

Because I never heard of that whole Patch thing using a text file and both tell me I need to do it if I'm upgrading from 1.4.7.
No, you only have to do the latter. The former will apply the security fixes but keep you at 1.4.7. For the easiest experience, just upgrade to 1.4.8 using the upgrade script.
Ok that's what I thought. Thanks for the info.

I still think it's confusing though, in the first part it's telling users from 1.4.7 to follow instructions of a txt file. And later on, it talks about upgrading from 1.4 and 1.4.7 using the "regular" method of changed_files. But as far as I can see it doesn't explain what the difference is between patching and upgrading (which as I understand now is patching the security fixes only versus upgrading the forum to new version with new bug fixes and features respectively).

Maybe most users do understand, I think it's a bit confusing though Smile
Isn't there always a text file with the manual security changes and a changed files package with everything in...??
(2009-06-26, 09:07 AM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't there always a text file with the manual security changes and a changed files package with everything in...??

In 1.4.6 announcement it says:

Quote:Please download the attached ZIP archive and replace the files in your forum directory with those from the ZIP archive.

changed_files_1406.zip

If you wish to manually patch your board please download “mybb_1405_patches.txt” and follow the instructions in that file.

mybb_1405_patches.txt

In 1.4.7 announcement it says:

Quote:Please download the attached ZIP archive and replace the files in your forum directory with those from the ZIP archive.

changed_files_1406.zip

If you wish to manually patch your board please download “mybb_1406_patches.txt” and follow the instructions in that file.

mybb_1406_patches.txt

In 1.4.8 announcement there's not being made any difference about the patch and changed files section. Both say that if you run 1.4.7 you should follow the instructions (using the text file or using changed_files.zip respectively). Maybe I'm just missing something, but it seems that previous announcements mention that the Patch is for manual update.
Updated. All I did was take the Maintenance & Security update release template we've used for previous versions and convert it to wordpress format.
Thanks Smile