MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Why did KDE Forums changed to...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why did KDE Forums changed from MyBB to phpBB :O?
Yeah they really did. That's a shame.
Hmmm, found nothing about this in their forums; in this thread http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=62056#p81281 (I had to pull the anchor out of the HTML source) someone asks "And what was the reason to switch forum engines? Performance problems?" but nobody seems to have replied to that question.

My first impression of their new forum was "wow looks great", but that's design only, the forum content itself seems to be badly messed up (contains MyBB bbcode that does not work in phpBB). You can't even tell when any of those posts were written since it does not show the date.

All in all it seems pretty rough, so it's probably new...
Shame. That's sort of suck.
I don't really understand the change at all. But, we are the mybb community so I guess I'm biased Toungue.

But, it seems a lot of the forum users at kde aren't exactly excited either Big Grin.

I have a feeling they wanted to a lot of heavy modifications and instead of working with the plugin system decided to just edit everything by hand. Including a lot of the stuff they lose from the switch Toungue.
Wow, that totally sucks ...

Also, I find the theme quite ugly.
Isn't KDE forums the reason they changed the licensing for MyBB?
http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54492 suggests that they had load issues prior to switching

although I don't get why they should be seeing any load from mybb, with those member counts. are there many anonymous users because it's KDE or something?

feedback from one of the board admins would be nice... after they made a fuss with a press release stating they were using mybb and all xD
(2009-06-28, 11:09 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't KDE forums the reason they changed the licensing for MyBB?

I think it was already being discussed but their wish to use MyBB made the decision final. I think we also went to extra lengths to make sure the licence fitted what they needed, and Ryan offered security and optimisation tips right at the start of them using MyBB... and now they've changed.
That was my feeling as well, and I find it quite irritating that they haven't addressed it at all.
Pages: 1 2