MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: MyBB/KDE
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know the thread was locked (not sure why) but I wanted to put in my 2 cents and look at this from another perspective...

Yes, it sucks that KDE forums dropped MyBB, but that doesn't mean MyBB is a bad product, it just means MyBB didn't serve their needs/interest. I for one think it was a great move when KDE chose MyBB, but I also think it's good that KDE chose what was better for them (which they might come to find out that MyBB is the best choice down the road).

I know the exposure was good for MyBB but with the growing usage of MyBB I don't think this hiccup is that bad. Let's look on the brightside that when you use MyBB you have the ability to make a choice. Wink
In the end its their choice.
As the other thread was closed i will repond here.

First, let me say, publishing personal messages is a sign of impoliteness, and in some countries it is even illegal, unless you have the permission of who wrote them.

But since it's now out in the open, I'll take the opportunity for a short reply.

Why are we not responding more? It's simple, we are still working out some rough edges.

So let me say something about the reasons, as I really don't want this to turn into a flame war. Like I already stated in the PM, and as labrocca said, the main and most important reason was simply a team change.

That the the decision came at the same time as the server problems was just a coincidence. At that time the team stepped up with the wish of a change. An overall change. And most of them were familiar with phpBB.
So, to make it very clear, we never stated it was MyBB's fault or that MyBB was bad.

When I started working on the forum we were 2 people without any other help, just with the wish to make a good forum for KDE users. And I know we made a good choice. Now I am the only one left, the team has grown and the way of working has changed with that.

Overall, it is a matter of not only using the software that fits your needs, but also your team's needs.

I would still recommend using myBB. But our team decided to go for something else because of our workflow. That is the only reason.

Consider this an official statement from the KDE Community Forums.
I figured from reading the correspondence that it was the team changes/team's decision to change platforms in the end, and now you've confirmed that thought.

Ultimately we're here to support our software and help communities be the best they can.
If you think another software is going to serve your team, and community, better than MyBB then we wish you the best of luck, sincerely.

In fact, I'd like to thank you for the plugins and other submissions your team put into the MyBB project. And probably a few more users.

Kind regards,
Ryan Loos.