MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: So very close.... SMF -> MyBB
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I just don't seem to have much luck when it comes to getting over to MyBB. Smile I was on IPB for years... many years. I couldn't get the IPB -> MyBB conversion to work (posted threads about it but never got a resolution) so I decided to jump to SMF and then to MyBB.

The conversion from IPB -> SMF went great, no issues and I currently sit at SMF 1.1.9. Now I have tried to go SMF -> MyBB and am running into issues. I really want to give MyBB a spin but these repeated conversion issues are just killing me.

Information
Source: SMF 1.1.9
Server: Apache/2.2.11 (Ubuntu) DAV/2 PHP/5.2.6-3ubuntu4.1

The install of MyBB goes cleanly, and as a test I even started posting on it and had members kick the tires. Everything works as it should.

When I convert I can successfully convert everything until I get to posts. At this point I did not get any errors, the process would simply hang. So I dug into the DB and looked at the posts that were causing the issue. It would appear that way, way back in the day (@2000-2002) my forum was in a latin charset, and somewhere along the lines it was converted to UTF8, however these old posts have extra characters in them (for example there were cases where "that's" would appear as "that\'s"). I spent a great deal of time crafting the appropriate MySQL queries to fix these and they are all resolved, the converter passes over these troubled posts with no issues. However now it is freezing at a different post, in this case topic #47 msg #144. Looking at the logs I can not find anything... no strange characters, no errors... just nada.

I would really appreciate any help I could get, as I would rather not be stuck on SMF... not that it is a bad product or anything, quite the opposite. But I really wanted to give MyBB a shot.

Logs, <REMOVED> == Me anonymozing the log

post_debug_data_oldbb_140_1246329679.log
)array (
'ID_MSG' => '144',
'ID_TOPIC' => '47',
'ID_BOARD' => '9',
'posterTime' => '1017170431',
'ID_MEMBER' => '8',
'ID_MSG_MODIFIED' => '43598',
'subject' => 'Jedi Knight II',
'posterName' => '<REMOVED>',
'posterEmail' => '<REMOVED>',
'posterIP' => '64.219.82.129',
'smileysEnabled' => '1',
'modifiedTime' => '1246332452',
'modifiedName' => '<REMOVED>',
'body' => '*commences begging*',
'icon' => 'xx',
)

This is the end of the log file, it produces nothing further.
I should also mention that I ran a test convert of this same board and data back when the beta 4 converter was out and it successfully (as far as I can tell) converted everything. It was just a dry run while I ironed out some other issues, when I came back to do the conversion for real beta 5 was up.
wow,
goodluck Smile
(2009-06-30, 03:06 PM)FBI Wrote: [ -> ]wow,
goodluck Smile

Thanks, pretty sure I am going to need it. Just not sure what could cause the converter to flat hang with no error messages in the logs or anything. :/
I had a similar experience when I was moving a friend's forum over to MyBB from Forumotion's phpbb.

Here's my experience:
**forumotion => local phpbb3 using converters on phpbb support forums => success (except for some fields of course like password, usergroups etc, understandably since it was a converter and no access to the database)

**local phpbb3 => local mybb => success

**local mybb => production mybb on server => hangs on a certain post, nothing in the log

Looking at the post, I found some invalid characters, mostly double quotes that looked like double backticks ``

I manually removed the quotes but no go, in the end, since it was just a small board, I manually cut pasted the posts out of the thread/db and copy pasted them back in after the merge.
Thanks G33K, I went ahead and cloned my source DB and forum... then I proceeded to directly edit posts that the converter seemed to be hanging on... to no effect. I even would replace the entire post body with "TEST" so I knew I had overwritten any strange characters.. no dice.

So I can't seem to locate the actual cause of the hang... which makes it impossible to resolve. Even stranger sometimes if I delete the ID_MSG that follows where it hung that lets it move on to the next one.

This doesn't look good. :/
Your PHP execution time may not be enough to fully convert all the posts.
Those are set at:

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; Resource Limits ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

max_execution_time = 30 ; Maximum execution time of each script, in seconds
max_input_time = 60 ; Maximum amount of time each script may spend parsing request data
;max_input_nesting_level = 64 ; Maximum input variable nesting level
memory_limit = 16M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (16MB)

I think this should be good... I tried lowering the number of posts converted at a time to 100 and got the same hang at the same spot. :/
Look in the other log post file (not the olddb one) for that query and paste it here. If it's not here then I know that it's something to do with the conversion function and not the insert function.
Thanks for the reply Ryan!

Ok, so to get a clean log I re-installed MyBB and then re-ran the converter. It's hanging on a different post now it seems

Log file is named post_debug_data_140_1246419324.log
<REMOVED> == Me anonymozing the log

)array (
  'tid' => '36',
  'replyto' => '',
  'subject' => 'Blade 2',
  'username' => '<REMOVED>',
  'fid' => '8',
  'uid' => '1',
  'import_uid' => '1',
  'dateline' => '1017155778',
  'message' => 'Went and saw this over the weekend.  Actually it was pretty darn good.  I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first one.\\r\\n\\r\\nAs always there were a bit too many CGI shots, but thats what we get from Hollywood instead of storylines.  Is it just me or do they need to educate some people that CGIs are a tool to support the movie, not -be- the movie.\\r\\n\\r\\nAnyway, pretty decent flick, Blade has more personality in this one then he did the last while still maintaining that \\\'dark\\\' thing he does.  heh.',
  'ipaddress' => '63.119.218.136',
  'longipaddress' => '0',
  'includesig' => '1',
  'smilieoff' => '0',
  'edituid' => '0',
  'edittime' => '0',
  'icon' => '0',
  'visible' => '1',
  'posthash' => '',
  'import_pid' => '141',
)

Thats the end of the file. :/
Figured out why it is hanging on a different post now... I seem to have mixed up my test instance and live instance and I whacked the original topic it was hanging on, doh!
Just bumping to keep alive, as after putting in several more hours on this I still haven't solved this issue.

Hope everyone is having a good long weekend.
Pages: 1 2 3