MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Editing in Notepad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Quote:2 things need to be changed in the ./inc/config.php:

$config['admin_dir'] = 'admin'; (change it to the renamed one)

&

$config['hide_admin_links'] = 0; (set this value to 1)

Can these be edited in Notepad?
Yes and no; yes since Notepad is a normal text editor, no since Notepad (depending on the Windows version) can't deal with Unix linebreak characters (which your config.php may or may not have). If it looks messed up like all in one line, use something else.

A good free Windows editor is Notepad++ http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

However a too powerful editor can also get in your way when you don't know what the options mean, for example you have to make sure, if you set it to UTF-8, that you do NOT enable Byte Order Mark (BOM) as that would break your PHP files.
If you want to use a text editor that comes pre-installed on Windows, use Wordpad.
Thanks, frost!

I have Notepad++ but when I go to FTP (Filezilla) to edit the files, I right-click the file of choice and hit "View/Edit", and it automatically comes up in Notepad. How can I get it to come up in Notepad++?
Can't you download it, edit it in notepad++, and reupload it...??
Yep, it's done, but how can I get Notepad++ to come up when I right-click file to view/edit in FTP?

I know, not exactly a Mybb question. AngelToungue
I don't know but usually there are two possibilities:

1) the ftp client has an editor setting which you can set in the preferences
2) the ftp client uses what ever program is associated to .txt or .php (or other extension) to open it, i.e. the same youd get in windows when you double click the file
Great! I'll check the editor setting.

Thanks, guys! Heart
(2009-06-30, 04:29 PM)farleyq Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, it's done, but how can I get Notepad++ to come up when I right-click file to view/edit in FTP?

I know, not exactly a Mybb question. AngelToungue

Set the Notepad++ as the default editor.
Use Wordpad.

I used to use Notepad while editing, but then I saw Wordpad is better because it supports line breaks. With Notepad, everything will be in one line and it'll be a mess!

As for your olther problem, you need to change the settings on what it will open in. This should be in FileZilla somewhere. Wink