MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Domain name
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im currently hosting my forum on a free web host, and i was wondering if i buy a domain name is it possible to i dunno what to say um transfer my forum to that name. Sorry im kind of a n00b at this so like instead of buying the web host and the domain can i just buy the domain and change my forum url so instead of mysite.something.com it will be mysite.com or is it nessesary for me to buy the web-hosting and domain from same people um i guess thats my best way of explaining it
No, you can't just buy it and change the setting, doesn't quite work like that... you'll need to change the nameservers of the domain to your host's nameservers, add it to your hosting account, and make it point to your document root... you'll have to ask your host how to do this, it may not even be possible to do this on your host... if you're using a mysite.something.com domain, chances are you can't add a domain to your account.
So basically it would be alot easier to buy domain name and host at same time... once i do this can i move all my info members and posts and all that to the new web host
That's what I do, some hosts offer a discount if you get a domain and hosting package with them at the same time. There may even be a few free hosts that allow you to use a proper domain but I don't know how good those hosts are.
(2009-06-30, 06:33 PM)wethegreenpeople Wrote: [ -> ]So basically it would be alot easier to buy domain name and host at same time... once i do this can i move all my info members and posts and all that to the new web host

Yes, you can. Provided that you have ftp/cp access at the current host.
Ok then thanks for your help you guys Big Grin i will keep looking for a cheap host
I would advise you to not buy your domain through your webhost, because they can hold your domain hostage if you terminate your hosting with them.
(2009-06-30, 07:04 PM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]I would advise you to not buy your domain through your webhost, because they can hold your domain hostage if you terminate your hosting with them.

Excellent advice. I know this from experience. It will cause you a lot of headaches if you want to move hosts again later on.
Fair point, never occurred to me as I've never actually bought them together but it makes sense.
Look around for some cheap domain names first, try 1&1.

Then, all you have to do is find a cheap host that supports domains, and sign up with the domain you bought. Then all you have to do is change the nameservers to your new host.

Make a backup of your old site and your ready to go! Wink