MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: uploading 1.4.8 want to install using a backup database...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So...

I'm currently uploading the new MyBB 1.4.8 and I want to use a backup of a 1.2 MyBB Database so I get my users and posts back in the new one.. Not an upgrade as its in a new location also..

so can someone, just incase i **** it up give me a step by step guide if you wouldn't mind..
Try this process:

- Install MyBB 1.2.x (x being the version your DB backup is from)
- Import the 1.2 DB backup
- Rebuild caches, tables, etc. to ensure everything's alright
- Copy everything from that installation over to the new host, then adjust MySQL usernames & passwords for new host, and ensure the forums work
- Run the upgrade script for 1.4.8 on the new host/location
- You're done!
its on the same host just a different location does that matter?
ps thanks for the reply, appreciate it!
Oh, so you'll be using the same DataBase I'd imagine?
if thats possible? also I'm not sure how to find out which 1.2.x I was using. all i have is the backup from phpMyadmin
Hmm, I'm not familiar with the 1.2 series so I wouldn't be able to determine what version it is from.

Anyways, yes, it is possible as long as you still have the information for it (usernames & passwords). You can try importing the DB into a Version Of 1.2.x (Try 1.2.14) after a proper install in the new location, and then rebuild/optimize the tables (or a similar option). If it's successful, attempt an upgrade to 1.4.8 and you should be set.

Like I say, I'm not familiar with 1.2.
I'm slightly confused as to what you need to do, are you upgrading from 1.2 to 1.4 in a different directory to what the 1.2 forum was in?? I don't understand the 'not an upgrade' comment because you will need to upgrade it...
yes its an upgrade.. but not a standard upgrade as my old forum is no longer active, however i have all the databases still in my server and the backup i made from the forum also now i just want to install the forum again in a different directory and get all my users/posts/etc from it
Install first the mybb at the directory that you want it installed, restore the database and then upgrade it to the latest version and you should be all set.
how do i restore the database? do i make a new one and import the back up or just when installing select the database i was previously using, because i imported the backup and no members etc are showing up
thanks to everyone for replying with help, with regards to php, mybb and all that im fairly clueless so i thank you all!
Pages: 1 2 3