MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Bug or Bot?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I posted this in the general support but the situation has changed and I think it is a bug of some kind..
the same 12 posts are being mirrored on my forum in a different location.
Some from the visitor's movie section, and game section as well as one other post from the graphic section.. all mirrored in Guest downloads which is where the misc. programs are posted. I even changed the name of the download section from
Downloads to Visitor's Downloads

It still is happening and only since I upgraded.It happens on all the skins..even the original one that is installed at time of first installation. all the mirrored downloads are intact in their respective locations ..but the messed up posts keep returning to the one location they don't belong. hmmmUndecided
What plugins do you have installed?
I will give you the list...but if you really want to know what I am thinking is...
I had a spam bot on my forum.a person registered with a valid email address and then shortly after bombed the forum. While it was on there..it posted 12 of the same crap all over my site in the forums that are mirroring the posts now. There is some sort of exploit on my forum... so my thinking is this. I have a database pre upgrade. I will upload that... and get the forum back on it and then do the upgrade. Perhaps I will lose the last few days but it is worth loosing this for sure.I again will have to load the plugins and everything unless I find the exploit file.Confused

Akismet (1.2.1)
Country Flag (2.1)
Login Password Conversion (1.0)
Online 24 (2.2) by Jesse Labrocca
PM On Registration (1.2.0)
RSS To Post (1.2.2)
Usergroup legends (2.0)
There are no known exploits in 1.4.8.

The things is, I can't think of a scenario where the posts will be "mirrored". There must be duplicated threads in the database - the same thing, in different places, but ultimately they will all be different records in the database. You should be OK to just delete them, and nothing more will come of it.
What file do I use to hook up the new database or should I just install the 1.4.8 using the new database I think that is probably the safest way.. no he got on right before I upgraded.. and I gave the ip to my service admin. who I am close to.. and also banned him on the forum and cpanel. what should I do I am really not experienced enough to know the best course of action
(2009-07-03, 04:38 PM)Starnova Wrote: [ -> ]What file do I use to hook up the new database or should I just install the 1.4.8 using the new database I think that is probably the safest way.. no he got on right before I upgraded.. and I gave the ip to my service admin. who I am close to.. and also banned him on the forum and cpanel. what should I do I am really not experienced enough to know the best course of action

Oh and I have been deleting the files every 2 hours round the clock.. so this has to end LOL.... They are even in the rubbish and still duplicating..
What files are you deleting?
They are programs that are duplicating in the forum.. some from different areas that are all posting in the general download area from movies.. and other aspects of the forum. Here is another facet to this. I think it was attached to my username or something because when I am not logged in...the downloads are not there... as soon as I log in they are. SO I changed my username and password.. and am waiting to see if that is the problem.

Update I am reinstalling everything from scratch using the 1.48. I wonder though can I hook up to an existing 1.47 database? I think I have lost my forum and should just begin all over again...
If your db is intact then you can connect it to it easily by simply entering that db info at config.php file.