MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Character econding problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently had some problems with my forum (I got hacked by that NobodyCoder dude) and I had to use a back-up to restore some of my posts.
However, there's a weird problem with the character encoding.

The "message" field is set to utf8_romanian_ci, as it should be.
"Ei aveau doi băieţii gemeni, demni de a fi numiţi " this is a fragment of a post... I hope that MyBB will show that the special characters are shown here. That bit of text is copied from PhpMyAdmin, right out of the "message" field so everything is stored ok in there.

However, on the site, that exact portion looks like that:
"Ei aveau doi b?ie?ii gemeni, demni de a fi numi?i" and sometimes some even weirder characters instead of "?".
I don't really understand what would be the problem... the data is stored as should be, why isn't it also displayed properly?

Here's a link to the post where that excerpt comes from: http://animezup.com/forum/showthread.php...33#pid5333

Can anyone help me with this, please? I don't know what to do Undecided
In ./inc/config.php, you'll see this line:

$config['database']['encoding']

You need to make sure that this is the same as your mySQL charset. It could be worthwhile converting your tables to UTF-8 in the ACP (Tools & Maintenance). That way it's possible to display any unicode character.