MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Would love a well-integrated image gallery, and don't wanna switch to vBulletin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys Smile

I really, really want a good gallery for my forum but I just don't know what to do on MyBB as there doesn't seem to be one. I would be ok at least for now with having a well integrated coppermine, zenphoto or similar gallery, but I just don't know where to begin... is there any way to do this well?

Like I say, I really don't want to switch to vBulletin as i like MyBB and support it, but it's just I need a gallery ._.

I also don't want to spend AGES setting it up..

What are your thoughts on this?

Elwave Smile
Well you could use Coppermine. Or you could wait for Aarons plugin.
I think I will just try Coppermine - is it easy to do? Oh, is there a forum somewhere where it has been done so I can see? Sorry I'm just curious to see what the results will be like before I go for it myself! lol

But yeah at least I'm one step closer! Do you think MyBB with Coppermine can compete with vBulletin's system?
Well Coppermine is a photo gallery system. with a mybb bridge. Google it
Yeah I'm going to give Coppermine a good shot and also check out Aaron's work again! I think it's very nearly done!

Here's one thing I was thinking though.. it's such a shame there isn't more incentive for companies to develop mods for platforms such as MyBB ._.

I mean, look at PhotoPost for vBulletin, but see the only reason they have it and we don't, is because the companies have a financial incentive to code it.

I think if companies could be encouraged more and would develop mods due to the increased traffic through their site for advertising potential, or maybe just small "donations" for download like eLive which asks for $5. I know it's a little corporate but see it would mean that we have things like galleries so much sooner.. it's just down to support.

And sorry, mini-rant over heh, it's just I think MyBB is wicked, and I think it deserves more attention and more excellent mods to go with it! ^_^

Elwave
I wish there were more companies out there that charged for MyBB plugins, then we'd see some awesome plugins. Big Grin
(2009-07-08, 08:03 AM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]I wish there were more companies out there that charged for MyBB plugins, then we'd see some awesome plugins. Big Grin

well, the thing is I think if people want to pay significant amounts, they'll often go to something like vBulletin, but companies could probably charge just a little and still do very well.
Exactly, a $5-$15 plugin isn't going to break the bank, and it's signifigantly cheaper than vBulletin/IPB, but a developer can still make it worth his time with such a small fee.
(2009-07-08, 05:38 PM)KuJoe Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly, a $5-$15 plugin isn't going to break the bank, and it's signifigantly cheaper than vBulletin/IPB, but a developer can still make it worth his time with such a small fee.

Some people get it. MybbCentral.com is well known for it's $5 subscription fee for my plugins. It inspires me and provides a means for me to spend time making plugins. I have not yet made a gallery plugin but I would certainly love to do it. It's an intense undertaking though and I have many projects.

Recently a few other coders have followed my lead and started their own $5 subscription sites for their plugins. I hope they add quality plugins and continue to build the Mybb base.
Yeah you're right labrocca.

It's a tricky one though you see as i do simply LOVE the idea of free, open source software for everyone. It's wonderful and idealistic, but the only problem is people need money to live.

Hopefully there will always be a combination of the two.. free software as contributed by everyone, but support financially for coders who make things like gallery plugins! hehe Smile

Oh, as a footnote, I was wondering if there is any way to make my new coppermine gallery put some latest pics or similar at the bottom of my forum, or somehow fake a way to make it look more integrated?

If this doesn't exist, surely it would be relatively quick to code and simple? Cheers guys, and Viva La MyBB! hehe Smile