MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: White Page After Add Forum
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have 1.4.6.
Upgraded to 1.4.8, problem persists.

I have a HUGE forum I am building. Up to about forum 400, no problems. Sometime after that, everytime I add a new forum, the next page goes white:

http://forum/admin/index.php?module=foru...ction=edit

However, when checking the site, the new forum is added.

IE returns a server 500 error, firefox returns a blank white page.

Generated in 0.6674190 seconds (57.83% PHP / 42.17% MySQL)
SQL Queries: 16 / Global Parsing Time: 0.5194750 / Memory Usage: 29.5 MB
PHP version: 5.2.6 / Server Load: 0.65 / GZip Compression: Disabled

Any ideas?

Thanks
It actually seems to happen after lots of updates now...

I just tried to change the Guest Usergroup to be able to see who's online, and got a white screen. The setting was changed, but the white screen was still there...
BTW, I disabled all of the plugins.
A 500 error is normally something wrong with the server. Unfortunately it's a little vague for an error code - the only thing I can suggest is to contact your host - there may be a limit to how many nested forums you can have too based on your server.
http://community.mybboard.net/thread-42160.html

Yes, that mentions 403 errors, but it can cause 404 and 500 errors, so give the steps in that thread a go first and see if it fixes it.
Matt, thanks, but it doesn't make sense. Why would AdminCP work fine until I have a certain number of forums, then all of a sudden I have a mod_security problem?

I'll try it anyway, but just doesn't make sense to me... maybe I'm missing something?

Tomm, why would the number of nested forums be dependent on my server/host? Also doesn't make sense....
Maybe they only just enabled it or they recently changed the settings...?? Undecided It's just a suggestion, people have had similar problems caused by mod_security in the past.
(2009-07-07, 02:22 PM)apa Wrote: [ -> ]Tomm, why would the number of nested forums be dependent on my server/host? Also doesn't make sense....

Actually, it makes perfect sense (at least, to me!). If you have 400 forums - guessing at nested - then the "parent" field in the database is being updated with, possibly, 400 numbers. There must be *some* limit to how far you can go before the server just holds it's hands up and says it's had enough, and doing it anymore! Toungue

Plus, mod_security, as far as I understand it, is designed to detect certain "security" issues and prevent the server from being attacked. If it thinks it's under attack, it can throw a 403, 404 or 500 error depending on what threat it's detected (in this case, reaching a high level of nested forums). It could certainly explain why 'all of a sudden' this has happened if you haven't changed anything.

Quite frankly, it could be anything. But considering it effects other areas of the ACP too, then the culprit does sound like mod_security. Maybe your host changed something?
Thanks guys, I'll check. Thanks for the explination.

BTW, I have about 500 or so forums to add... will this be a problem? The site itself runs fine... very fast
mod_security has been disabled per the instructions, and problem persists.
Here is an error in the PHP log

[06-Jul-2009 18:36:38] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 786358 bytes) in /inc/class_datacache.php on line 167
I added php_value memory_limit 128M to my .htaccess file and that seems to have fixed the problem.

maybe we should add this as a tip or something to help people with larger forums.