MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Removing moderator on forum is reseting gid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
(2009-07-21, 04:18 AM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]As you say...the person who reported it. That wasn't me. He didn't understand the behavior or why it happened so maybe neither do you. However I do as I have experienced it myself.

It's all good though. Whenever I can make a plugin only alteration I am happy. I hope though in 2.0 the forum moderators are reconsidered...the entire group thing is imho a bit iffy. We have usergroup,additionalgroups, and displaygroup. I can be to some confusing. I have just worked around it as best I can but as I use custom groups more and more I find little quirks in the system.

Right now I have 26 total groups. Each is needed and I have special permissions all over the place.

I would be happy to implement a fix - Just not yours, which is a hacky workaround really, at best.

If there is a better solution, I would be happy to implement it. Problem is I can't think of a better solution.

The only other thing I would consider is giving the admin an option of "Overwrite usergroup with moderator group or update additional group?"

At least then they know what's going on with the functionality. Just needs to be worded correctly.
Quote:The only other thing I would consider is giving the admin an option of "Overwrite usergroup with moderator group or update additional group?"

That's actually a very good idea...

IMHO the option would be best served as "Main Usergroup or Additional Usergroup?"

I would be very willing to write it up if you used it. Shouldn't be hard to take what I did and implement this.
Just a contribution to the possible wording, maybe:

Set user's group as Moderator?
Setting this to 'No' will set the users secondary group as Moderator instead.
This was in bogus...now it's moved back to bugs...hmm...does this mean it might actually be changed? At least discussed more. Oh lordy me!

Quote:Set user's group as Moderator?
Setting this to 'No' will set the users secondary group as Moderator instead.

Yup...

I would say it like this though:
Setting this to 'No' will set the users secondary group as Moderator. User display group will not be effected.[/quote]

If you want me to writeup a fixed file with the option please let me know. Shouldn't be too hard and I need this so bad I would be willing to do it. The plugin I made is fine but nothing is better than official MyBB alterations.
(2009-07-20, 11:22 PM)labrocca Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Realistically, I will end up getting 10 bug reports with you fix, complaining about not showing a moderator as a moderator as their usergroup.

That's your only valid complaint and negative possibility about my fix. But the same could be said about a lot of features or behaviors in Mybb. The bogus bug report section is filled with them.

Because something isn't a bug but instead a bad behavior doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed.

Quote:the only good solution is to track the previous usergroup the user had

That statement shows me you still don't get what this bug is about. If you had custom usergroups that had special permissions you would understand the problems with forum moderators as they are. Your fixes don't fix the problem of a usergroup being overwritten. That's the issue here.

I also saw the hooks. There is a problem when removing the moderator. The group is deleted and then you can't I have to see if I can look again. If I can do this with a plugin then of course that's more than acceptable to me.

EDIT: Attached is a plugin to deal with this issue. I had to find a workaround but I finally nailed it.

I honestly don't believe that Me and Scouty are the only people who seem to fully understand the issue. xD Aside from labrocca, ofc. Thanks for the plugin, I'll upload/install it.
Moving this to suggestions, since this is correctly working logical programmatic functionality. This is a suggestion since it is a matter of coherency.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5