MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Google to launch Chrome OS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Quote:Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Later this year we will open-source its code, and netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010. Because we’re already talking to partners about the project, and we’ll soon be working with the open source community, we wanted to share our vision now so everyone understands what we are trying to achieve.

Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We’re designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don’t have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/i...me-os.html

Looking forward to this Big Grin
I read that on your blog Wink
I reckon Microsoft are sat in their board room, sipping orange juice, laughing - to be honest. Android has been a massive failure in terms of uptake (partly thanks to Apple) and Chrome (in my opinion) has been a massive failure (thanks to Firefox, IE and Opera). Following the trend...? They should stick to what they're good at - search.

There's no way Google can create an OS for the home to take over Microsoft. There's no way Google can create an OS for businesses to take over Microsoft; immediately that's a good 75% of the market. So, instead, they aimed for the netbooks - which granted is an upcoming market, but too small to make a dint into the profits of Microsoft. The only thing that it has going for it is that Windows 7 will be limited to 3 concurrent applications on netbooks. What people are forgetting is that there are already fantastic OS's available for netbooks (linux-based, and the upcoming Palm webOS) and when 2010 comes round, I personally think the next Windows Mobile will be the choice for netbooks.
wow.. a new era..!

Thanks MattR for sharing

regards
(2009-07-08, 02:40 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]I reckon Microsoft are sat in their board room, sipping orange juice, laughing - to be honest.

There's no way Google can create an OS for the home to take over Microsoft.

Oh, yeah, should have said, by no means do I see this denting Microsoft's markets share.

(2009-07-08, 02:40 PM)Tomm M Wrote: [ -> ]Chrome (in my opinion) has been a massive failure (thanks to Firefox, IE and Opera).

I don't think it can be called a massive failure... sure, it isn't the most used browser, but it is the newest main one, only 9 months old, and Google don't help their cause by not having the link to the download on the Google homepage like they did when it was launched, they'd get tons of downloads then... and, according to the W3 Browser Stats, more people use Chrome than Safari and Opera put together... then again, that's based on W3 recorded stats so probably isn't totally accurate, but they've recorded more people using Chrome than Safari and Opera. If it was a complete failure, it'd be bottom, no??

And anyway, even if it is crap, I'll still give it a go.
I would love this if i had a netbook Toungue.
I'm just thinking... this is a "lightweight operating system" that will be running applications through a browser. Right. So I have to use Google Docs, Gmail, and bang goes my Exchange.

Because it's a "new" OS, I'm guessing they'll be scrapping compatability too. No games, or previous software that's been released... I'm guessing Google haven't really thought about this, or they're really pressing that world domination thing...!
I think/hope google would use the linux kernal if anything.
I can tell you guys one thing and this is my Opinion. Chrome to me is better than Firefox.
Read this few hours ago...
Hmm, as far as I know Android worked well with some netbooks, no idea why they will now bring up Chrome OS...
It doesn't sound useful for me but we'll see.

I personally do look forward to Win 7 with XP mode...
Pages: 1 2 3 4