MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Change Forum Domain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Is it possible to completely change a forum domain and carry across a currently active forum to it?

ie take the forum from www.myforum.com to www.yourforum.com

Many thanks!
Hello, yes this is possible aslong as the database name/password & correct url name are changed in config php to match the new place the forum will be placed. This is assuming you will be moving the forum to a new database.
Hi Peepo,

That is good news.

We would be wanting to shift the whole current forum to a new domain location.
Does a new database mean that we loose all of the current forum activity (users, threads, posts etc)?

How do we create a new database? Huh
Hello, no you will retain all data, this is what you do.
Backup the forum via admin cp. save this text file to your desktop.
Then access your domain via FTP & save your forum folder to desktop.

Create a new database on your new server, find the config file in the inc folder & ammend it in notepad to reflect new databse username/password & domain name.

Upload the forum folder to your new server, chmod the correct files. upload the backup text file in phpmyadmin on your server.
Run 'recount & rebuild' in admin cp
all done Smile
Oops sorry forgot to say, it will depend what control panel you have for your server for how you will create a new database. Its pretty straight forward in all control panels though Smile
Who said he was changing host?? If he's just changing the domain, they don't need to do any of the stuff you said.

If it's on the same server, once the domain is on your hosting account, and is pointing to your files, you can just change the board URL and cookie settings and it'll work.
How rude.
I work in tech support & guessed by the wording of the question ('carry accross a currently active forum') that this person probably wasnt aware of the differences between swicthing domain name & moving to a new server.
My apologies to the person if they were simply wanting to change domain name & not change host, and I did state 'This is assuming you will be moving the forum to a new database.
Thanks
I wasn't being rude at all, seeing as the first post says 'take the forum from http://www.myforum.com to http://www.yourforum.com', it indicates only a domain change is required, there's nothing in that post about a server change.

I go on what the question says they want, not guess what I think they might mean by it Smile
Hello, I think you should think about how you come accross when writing then. Barging into a thread with 'Who said he was changing host??' makes you look rude.

If simply switching domain you dont 'carry accross' a forum. Like I said, I work in tech support so am trained to read abit into things & help a user who is possibly not fluent in tech terms determine exactly what they are looking to do.
Either way the person has got the answer to their question. *thumbsup*
I don't want to argue with you, but if you really can't see why I made my post, that isn't my problem. The first post only mentioned changing domain, it explicitly says 'change a forum domain'; I told them how to change their domain, you told them how to change hosts, that's all I'm getting at here. I don't know if it's different where you work, but here, we can't just assume the poster doesn't really know what they're talking about, or that they don't know certain terminology, and tell them what we think they mean, if we did that all the time we'd cause more problems than we solve, we have to go on what they tell us they want, and, in my opinion, 'change a forum domain' only really means one thing. I can see what you mean by the 'carry across' bit but to me that's just a misunderstanding of what's involved when changing a domain.

But, yes, either way, they have the answer they need.
Hello, lol calm down whos arguing? And Im not interested in this ego battle youre trying to create. Honestly this forum is really going downhill with these ego battles. You were rude, get over it/admit it like an adult, to yourself even & take a chill pill. Maybe the aircon in your office isnt working?
Thanks
Pages: 1 2