MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How do I allow guests to view threads?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want to allow guests to be able to view threads only in certain categories! Any ideas?

I mean, the guest should be able to see the forum, categories, and threads, but not read the content of the threads!
Log in to admin panel -- go to forums and posts -- choose the forum you wish to restrict --- click permissions -- click edit permissions -- check the option that says
Quote: Use custom permissions (below)

and in the subheading VIEWING --- UNCHECK ---

Quote:Can view threads within forum?
thanks! But I want the guest to see the threads, but not read them!
(2009-07-12, 04:43 AM)paschim Wrote: [ -> ]thanks! But I want the guest to see the threads, but not read them!

Can I ask why? Do you really think a list of topics is going to entice someone into joining?

I can't speak for everyone, but if a board forces me to register just to read posts I'll generally leave and not return. Unless you have something concrete that people absolutely need to register to get, like downloads or something, chances are they will just go somewhere where they don't have to register. People join boards because they want to participate in the discussions they're reading, which they can't really do if you restrict access. It's like asking customers to eat at your restaurant and then refusing to let them see the menu.

As far as I know, there's no way to allow them to read the topic titles but not the topic itself.
LOL well I have to somewhat agree with you Bey Brad My forum has an extensive guest section which begs the question to guests.. " if they have this in the guest section...wonder what the inside is like?" That works best for me paschim I am averaging with submission work on a weekly basis.. 3 new members on a daily basis.
What Darkmew said is how it used to work; if that was unchecked, you'd see the threads, but not be able to view the content. This was changed for a 1.4.5 I think, to what it is now, where it says there's no threads if that permission is unchecked, and it was decided it was going to go back to how it was for the next maintenance release, which was 1.4.8, so... not really sure if it's planned for the next maintenance release or if I've misunderstood what was being reverted to how it was Toungue
I'm looking for the exact same fix.

Could anyone offer a lending hand? Basically what we (me and the thread starter) wants is that whenever a guest clicks on a topic, he/she would be required to register in order to proceed further. I think this can be easily done if some codes are to be added into the showthread.php file whereas it would check if the user is a guest or not and if they are a guest, he/she would be projected with the registration screen whenever they tried to view a thread.

I have the idea on how it can be implemented, but not the proper knowledge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!