MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Mass move of members-This is such a puzzle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have decided to have my forum more secure by having new users make three posts before access to the entire forum. I know how to make the group, the promotion.. the only thing is this..
Right now I changed the name of the default member group to newbie with the pretense of having them after registration enter that group. The problem is... I have over 400 members in there now that need to remain members. I want to begin this with new registrants only.
I cant seem to think through this enough to find out how to move the members. How can I?
Or would it be this easy..
Leave the members in that group.. create the new group.. set permissions in all the forums for that usergroup.. then go to member titles and create the newbie group with a promotion of 3 posts to members? I really am not sure if that would work... HELP Exclamation
If you mean you want to change the default registration group to a custom one, it'll be a lot easier for you if you just move all the members into the newbie group, and then just rename them both, so the newbie group, really the default registered group, is what new users go into, and the group with the name 'registered' is really a custom one.

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `usergroup` = 'X' WHERE `usergroup` = '2';

Change the X to the ID of the newbie usergroup.
Okay but one more question how would I find the ID's I know 1 is admin. and 2 is members .. but I do not know how to find the ID of the new group.. Please forgive me. I will admit to anyone on the web that mybb has taught me a great deal.. and that an old dog can learn new tricks LOL..
Admins is 4, not 1... you can find it at the end of the URL when you edit the usergroup in the ACP.
Okay... thank you ...Smile but there is a problem with my admin.cp as I mentioned before.. that some of the functions are not avail. such as the tools. they are not operating. I do not have any ID numbers showing for groups on the edit pages.. so .. I am just going to have it as #8 .
Ultimately.. the registered group will be renamed newbie.. and all the users from that group moved to the new group, members. I am just trying to figure this all out before I make a huge mistake LOL...
OH GREAT!!!!! Now I have to close the forum for a bit... dang it... All the members have now become Admin. by default and I have to manually change them all.. Something is definitely wrong they go from one forum to another and then do not show in the new forum at all... but everywhere else.. hmmmm
Okay well I suppose I cannot do that at all. I even reinstalled my admin. panel . Here is what is happening...
I run the query.. and it works for all groups aside from the new one...
in other words if I run this..

UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `usergroup` = '7' WHERE `usergroup` = '2'; 

Then all members go into the banned group and each of the respective numbers go into the respective groups.
BUT

If I do this....
UPDATE `mybb_users` SET `usergroup` = '8' WHERE `usergroup` = '2'; 

They do not show in the group and all of them end up as admin. and do not show in any of the groups... but the query says it is successful.

Why?
Well I just don't know what the heck to do.. I have done everything under the sun to get my admin.cp to work correctly.. I guess I have to make the decision if I can work with this or not LOL...