MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: UTF-8 Conversion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was browsing the Admin CP and I never looked into the UTF-8 Conversion tool in Tools & Manteinance. I have some tables who aren't converted, should I convert them? I mean, what does this do? Does it improve something or what..?

Regards.
I think that function just ensures that the database tables are in the correct format and readable by mybb.

It also is necessary for english to function as is it is a character set. So if it was set to greek then it would appear in greek lettering not english lettering. Usually this isn't the case and it isn't really necessary to convert the database tables.
So I should convert them?
Sorry I was updating my post. You can if you want but it wouldn't really matter if you didn't, unless you see any problems appearing which are linked to language.
I speak portuguese and my board is in portuguese. I have special characters which are used constantly like á, à, ã, â, ç, and when I make custom pages and use those characters I only see a question mark. Then I have to convert them to UTF8 without BOM or something (in Notepad++) and upload it again.

Is it something related to this?
If your board is speaking a different language with special characters then you probably don't want to do the UTF-8 conversion as it may undo what you have done already.

What database tables are there to convert?
mybb_forms
mybb_forms_items
mybb_forms_protect

and

mybb_mysb_bot
mybb_mysb_messages
mybb_mysb_reports
mybb_mysb_shouts

and

mybb_plaza_am_backups
mybb_plaza_buylog
mybb_plaza_cat
mybb_plaza_items

They're all plugins. The Form Manager, MyPlaza and MyShoutbox.
It should be ok to convert them but as I said you don't have to Wink
Thanks for your time. Appreciate it.
No Problem :p

If you have any more problems just let us know Wink