MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: If you ran a hosting site.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Say just site hosting in general, would you have Fantastico installed?

If it were me, I wouldn't. To me using Fantastico is for free hosting sites/lazy people.
I'd target people who want cheap, but good hosting, as well as people who are dedicated to building their site.

*Sigh* I know it sounds like a dream right now, but im still thinking of opening my own host.

Im already creating a design for it, but I still have something to study up on.
Honestly wouldn't matter to me. I personally don't like it but it's great for those who just want like a family/friend site and don't feel like learning anything.

The thing that stops me from starting a hosting is support. I would want to have a great support group. I mean anyone can start a host but I believe in quality Toungue.
I always offer Fantastico/Installatron when I offer hosting (free or paid). For a lot of users being able to run a website without a lot of knowledge about websites is a HUGE selling point. If you're particularly targetting an audience that does their own coding that is fine, but you'd open yourself up to a much bigger range of clients if you just spend the couple of dollars and offer an automated installation script.

I prefer Installatron over Fantastico, but there's a free script called Softaculous I'm keeping my eye on. It's very new and very buggy, but it could be a good option for my new free hosting service I will be starting up soon.
how dare those php-illiterate plebeians want to do something ON THE INTERNET !!!!!
Fantasitco is an excellent product and definatley nececary for paid hosts because some people would choose your hosting because they can set up a website without needing to hire a web designer and with very little knowledge.
I should note that it is recommended that all web scripts be installed manually and only to use automatic installers as a last resort. Wink
i would use installatron instead of fantastico.
I only like it, (and use it) for speed when i am strapped.
(2009-07-15, 04:24 AM)NetSage Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly wouldn't matter to me. I personally don't like it but it's great for those who just want like a family/friend site and don't feel like learning anything.

The thing that stops me from starting a hosting is support. I would want to have a great support group. I mean anyone can start a host but I believe in quality Toungue.

Oh, I thought about that too. Seeing as Im only learning PHP/MySQL I would want my support group to have either two years in PHP studies, or a zend certificate. Although being a paid host, they would also want their share of the money.
It's cheaper to outsource your support. I was using www.bobcares.com for my help desk support and they are excellent for the price! I plan on hiring them again once my VPS hosting is up and running (my partner and I have to learn Parallels since the LXLabs fiasco Sad).
Pages: 1 2 3 4