MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Delete own account
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm not sure if this would be considered a bug or not, but it's possible to delete your own admin account... is this done on purpose?? It seems that the fact that super admins can't be deleted is overridden if you're doing it to yourself, but it could be a problem if you get hacked, the attacker could delete the admin account easily from the ACP. If it gives an error saying it can't be deleted because it's a super admin, or because it's your own account, it would prevent the possibility of it happening.
The decision was made long ago that you should be able to delete your own account. In fact, I believe it's against some laws/regulations in certain countries not to offer a way of deleting accounts.
oh.. i still have an old "delete account" plugin installed, which makes it possible to delete your account..

is this a fixed function now in the new mybb version ? i wasn't able to find it in the usercp :ß
No, this is via the ACP... you can delete your own account in the ACP in the same way you can delete any other account.
ok, i understand.. let me make a suggestion:

deleting your own account as a user should be a fixed part of the mybb user system.

let me give you some brief impression:
signing up to a forum is nothing but a contract with certain rights and liabilities. and of course this contract can be cancelled by both parties.

the admin would just inform the user and erase/ban his account, but the user has no real option to cancel the contract factively, only leaving him the option to write to the admin and delete the account, which the admin may or (stupidly) may not follow.

if a user insists on canceling his membership and account and the admin refuses to do so, the user has the only option to legally enforce the cancellation = lawyer => court, if required, where he will be doubtlessly successful.

and it might get a little worse.
even if the "user agreement" on a forum clearly states, that the forum has the right to display a user's posts (for the user is the author and therefor the legal copyright holder), this agreement ends with the cancellation of an account, leaving the forum admin in a very poor legal situation.

in the end, giving a user the factual chance to cancel his membership, is a good thing and a clever thing and it is benevolent to both, admins and users.

the admin should also have the option (because it might be required,depending on where he lives) to:
- anonymise all posts made by a cancelled user, removing the userdata out of the post, but leaving the contents intact.
and/or
- completely delete all posts made by the cancelled user.
(2009-07-19, 03:56 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]No, this is via the ACP... you can delete your own account in the ACP in the same way you can delete any other account.

Care to share where these laws are stated? I doubt it. Laws in effect are to protect the users rights of privacy by enacting the ability for members to disable communications via email and other forms of communication like PM for sure. It is more likely illegal to decline to remove a member if they request it though in many cases.
(2009-07-19, 04:32 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]The decision was made long ago that you should be able to delete your own account. In fact, I believe it's against some laws/regulations in certain countries not to offer a way of deleting accounts.

Am I overlooking it or is this still not implemented?
(2010-03-21, 02:43 PM)linguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-19, 04:32 AM)Ryan Gordon Wrote: [ -> ]The decision was made long ago that you should be able to delete your own account. In fact, I believe it's against some laws/regulations in certain countries not to offer a way of deleting accounts.

Am I overlooking it or is this still not implemented?

Is what still not implimented? Being able to delete your own account though the UCP or being able to delete the super admin account though the ACP? If you are asking about the latter, as Ryan said, it will not be solved. It has already been decided.
No. The former, so that users can delete their own accounts from the UCP.
It's kinda weird. Because if you delete your own account in Admin CP and you are in Admin CP with that account you will be redirected to Main Index and then forum is screwed Confused
Pages: 1 2