MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Upload/avatars help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When i go to install the forum it says that i didnt change the chmod but i did:
Before you can install MyBB, we must check that you meet the minimum requirements for installation.
Requirements Check
PHP Version: 4.4.1
PHP XML Extensions: Installed
Configuration File Writable: Writable
Settings File Writable: Writable
File Uploads Directory Writable: Writable
Avatar Uploads Directory Writable: Not Writable
Error

The MyBB Requirements check failed due to the reasons below. MyBB installation cannot continue because you did not meet the MyBB requirements. Please correct the errors below and try again:

The avatars directory (uploads/avatars/) is not writable. Please adjust the chmod permissions to allow it to be written to.

What do i do. I tried to change it over and over again.
What did you chmod the uploads/avatars directory to?

It needs to be writable, so something like 666 or 777.
I changed it to 666 as the installation guide said.
Oh! I just changed it to 777 and it worked. Thanks!
I am having the same problem while trying to go through the install process. I have tried changing the avatars folder to permissions 666 and 777 and nothing seems to work!

Can someone help me with this, I am stuck from this point until i get this figured out.

Thanks.
heloo there

did u make both uploads and avatars as 777

also did u try to restart the installation from the 1st step

regards
Ok now it works, i guess i had to setup both the uploads and the avatars folder both to 777. Once i did that and retried the process it seem to work!

Thanks for your help.
It's really strange. When I first installed MyBB it said to CHMOD the ./uploads and ./uploads/avatars folders to 666. For whatever reason, it didn't work and I couldn't go back and change the CHMOD settings. I did a fresh install in another directory and CHMODed folders to 777 and the rest of the installation worked. Maybe to installation instructions need to be updated.
The difference between 6 and 7 is the execute bit. The execute bit on a directory really means "explore" (ie you can list files there).