MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: SMTP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How do I find my SMTP port, username, password on Ubuntu linux?

I'm on a unmanaged service, so the admin doesn't really answer e-mails.

Thanks.
If you don't have a mail server installed, you don't find it because you don't have it...

Do you use mail on your domain at all? Don't you already have some SMTP info then that you can use?

Usually shared hosts let you create mail accounts and you can use those for SMTP, and virtual root servers may have a management software installed that lets you create mail accounts as well.

You shouldn't just install a mail server by yourself if you got no clue how to do that, since it's easy to end up in a spam blacklist if you do things wrong...
I have a dedicated server. The admin told me SMTP is set up, but I'm not sure how to use it.

How do I access it?
do you have an email from home provider such as
[email protected] or net ?

for example
smtp

@verizon.net or com ?
port=25 usually
[email protected] or net
no. I have a dedicated server, why would I need a verizon email?
Its possible it might be mail.yourserver.com however we can't really answer that question for you as we are not your server admin :p

You can however use your personal email server (yahoo or gmail) and you should be able to send mail through that.
(2009-07-22, 05:05 PM)polarbear541 Wrote: [ -> ]Its possible it might be mail.yourserver.com however we can't really answer that question for you as we are not your server admin :p

You can however use your personal email server (yahoo or gmail) and you should be able to send mail through that.

yah exactly what i was trying to get at, you can use your own provider email account to make thing easier, i know thats what i do when it coems to my mybb board!

I use the smtp function and it works fine once you got the right settings applied!
for example:

if you have a personal smtp with your provider dont use that 1

all you would need to do is go and make up a new email with your own provider ( usally we can make more then 1 with our internet providers) you would just use the same name you make up as your mybb board logo or board name that you have installed and use it if it makes things easier, good luck!