MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: How to fix CAPTCHA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thanks to the help from frostschutz and MattRogowski, I have fixed both problems affecting Captcha.

I thought I would share this guide for use by other members with these problems.

Problem description:

Captcha does not display an image at all, like this
[Image: testlog.jpg]

The Fix:

Download notepad++, then open captcha.php in notepad++ and select format->convert to UTF8 without BOM. save the file and ftp it back to your site. Problem solved.

Problem Description:

You can see an image, but there is no text displayed in the image for you to enter into the captcha verification field.

The Fix:

Set you transfer type in your FTP client to "binary" and FTP the inc/captcha_fonts directory back to your server. Problem solved.
This fix did not work for me. I'm using Godaddy hosting, Linux, FireFTP (Firefox). Hard to believe so many people having issues with this, and it cannot get fixed.
(2009-08-03, 05:20 PM)JAB2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to believe so many people having issues with this, and it cannot get fixed.

There aren't really that many people that have this issue, and pretty much every time someone has, it's been fixed... Confused Maybe we can have your URL...??
(2009-08-03, 05:21 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-08-03, 05:20 PM)JAB2009 Wrote: [ -> ]Hard to believe so many people having issues with this, and it cannot get fixed.

There aren't really that many people that have this issue, and pretty much every time someone has, it's been fixed... Confused Maybe we can have your URL...??

I've found quite a few posts on here with the same issue. I've tried all of the "fixes".

http://www.sellcarsfaster.com/forums/index.php
That def looks like the BOM problem, did you convert the file to UTF8 without BOM?

If you are just going to use Captcha there, then just download reCaptcha II from the mods section here. I was using that until I installed an app that required the use of the original version.
(2009-08-03, 05:42 PM)freerider Wrote: [ -> ]That def looks like the BOM problem, did you convert the file to UTF8 without BOM?

If you are just going to use Captcha there, then just download reCaptcha II from the mods section here. I was using that until I installed an app that required the use of the original version.

Yes. I used notepad++, saved the file w/o BOM, and reuploaded. The file is attached. If anyone sees anything wrong with it, please let me know.

I tried the recaptcha, but got an error message when I did that.
Chances are the ads at the top are doing it, some people have had this issue caused by that.
(2009-08-03, 05:52 PM)MattRogowski Wrote: [ -> ]Chances are the ads at the top are doing it, some people have had this issue caused by that.

Yeah, I've read that, too. I'll have to look for an ad-free host, I think.

Thanks for trying to help.

UPDATE: It must have been a GoDaddy ad thing. I'm now hosting at 000webhost, and all seems to be working.