MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: TOP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

How come my TOP says I have used 3GB of 3.2GB RAM, but my kernel says I only uses 30% = 0.96GB? How do I find out my real memory usage? I know Linux likes to cache some memory...
I think (I may not be right in saying this) that the kernel only has a certain amount of allocated memory from the overall. So it would be 30% of its allocated memory.

This doesn't really relate to MyBB anyway.
Sure it is. myBB uses mySQL, mySQL uses RAM.
I know that :p
To be honest I wouldn't be worried about the ram unless the server became increasingly slow or had stopped completely.
(2009-07-22, 07:28 PM)Prudens Wrote: [ -> ]Sure it is. myBB uses mySQL, mySQL uses RAM.

Yes but your problem is nothing to do with the MyBB software, it's to do with RAM usage on your server. Using your logic you can say that plugins can be supported in the general support forum too because they use MyBB but it doesn't quite work like that... Rolleyes
Most web servers will show 90+% of their RAM being used, but if you check most of the "used" RAM is cached, thus not in actual use but waiting to be used.

# free -m
              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1001        957         44          0        165        485
My webserver is slowing down, I am thinking to upgrade RAM.
(2009-07-22, 08:07 PM)kan3 Wrote: [ -> ]My webserver is slowing down, I am thinking to upgrade RAM.

Current specs? What applications/scripts do you have running? What kind of traffic are you seeing?