MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Cease and desist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I was going to PM Labrocca about this, but I decided just to make a thread.

For all the people who have subscriptions to your site, what do you do when find a site either illegally distrubting or illegally using your theme/mod? I know there is such thing as a Cease and desist, but I'm unsure how you would go about sending one and what you would say inside of it. I'm wearing about the whole process.
A cease and desist is a request to stop a current action to prevent both parties from going to court. If you're a developer a good idea is to commision a local lawyer to draft a generic C&D letter and use it as needed. If it's a one time deal you can have a local lawyer send a C&D on your behalf which isn't free but usually has a bigger impact.
You don't need much to send a C&D. Make sure to mention the DMCA and the actual words "cease and desist".

For me I normally C&D the host and the site gets taken down. I might send off some nasty emails too. Really it depends.

I also ban them from Mybb Central.
If its offshore then DMCA letter won't do any good.
It's rare people use offshore hosts that are bulletproof from intellectual property law. They are expensive and most of these warez sites are run cheaply.
Not to mention bandwidth costs offshore tend to be a lot higher since the providers know what their intended use it.
And unreliable as the peer networks tend to suspend them.
Hate to ask (and please don't link me)

Whats the DMCA? Is it a global legislator/bill
No such thing as a global bill. It's a US enacted federal law.

Digital Millenium Copyright Act
Umm so what if i am hosted in canada? where i live? on my server?
Pages: 1 2 3