MyBB Community Forums

Full Version: Where to get previous beta
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, in the last blog post I saw something about avatars not converted by the merge tool, just something I would like to convert from smf. Can I find beta 4 somewhere on this site to fix this? Thanks!
No - Please use the latest beta and report any bugs you find. Avatars should convert fine.
Hi Ryan, thanks for pointing me to the current version but unfortunately all users do not have an avatar anymore. On your blog there was the next quote:

Quote:Again, you will notice it is largely the same. However a few modules are missing. We have removed support for Avatars a few other ones which weren’t standardized among the board’s. Why did we remove them? They were simply too high-maintenance, didn’t work very well for many people, and didn’t seem extremely essential to converting a forum over.
So can't they just upload their avatar again?
(2009-07-26, 06:13 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]So can't they just upload their avatar again?

I don't want to bother 5000 users to upload their avatar after a migration I initiated.
(2009-07-26, 07:53 AM)Sjaak Wrote: [ -> ]
(2009-07-26, 06:13 AM)Bey Brad Wrote: [ -> ]So can't they just upload their avatar again?

I don't want to bother 5000 users to upload their avatar after a migration I initiated.

Updating your avatar takes thirty seconds ... surely any active user is going to put their avatar back anyway. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Converting from one software to another is always going to have a few small problems. If this is the biggest issue with your conversion I'd consider it a success.
Well, after all migrations there are always some things not working like one expected, they already have to adjust their custom signature, have to know the new layout, new functions etcera. I want to minimize the effort users have to take and I think there is nothing wrong with that. Like Ryan said, avatars should convert fine so I would really like to use that feature if it's is available. Smile
Well, he did say himself the function was removed for being inconsistent.
Let me make myself more clear. Avatars that are linked to a 3rd party site should be carried over because they don't need to be downloaded/reuploaded to MyBB. Avatars that need to be transferred (as in actually downloaded and reuploaded to the MyBB forum) is no longer supported as it simply didn't work very well for anyone.
Hmm, so as long as the avatar is configured as a link instead of an upload, it should work... Within SMF they are uploaded to the host and visible if you check with ftp. If I adjust the value for the avatars so they are "linked" it should work then... I will test that, thanks for helping.